Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Rear wheel studs & a suzuki mechanic (not)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel studs & a suzuki mechanic (not)

Ok I was changing my rear wheels the other day, & I crossed threaded a stud.
Now I have never messed with any atv wheel studs before but it looked like a guy could press or pound it out of the hub. So a hunk of metal behind the hub & few hits on the stud & it was out. Wooot..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
So I head to the local Suzuki dealer to pick up a new stud. Now this is wear it goes bad. I get up to the parts counter ask the guy about the stud, & he starts looking it up on his micro fish deal & he cant find any, just the hub that comes with them in it. & For 300$ I would put a bolt in it first..
Now about then a mechanic walks out of the back & starts to tell me that the studs are part of the cast hub & are machined from the factory. & That they Don’t come out. I was like umm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] & told him what I had done, he was like nop its like that on some but not the Z’s its not how they work. I did not have mine with or would have shown him the one I took out. I'am so glad this guy dont & will not work on any of my stuff. He was kind of a jerk about it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Anyway carquest & a few others did not have the right size & napa was closed today, anyone know where I could get a few???

Old 06-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Try on a different day.. My studs on my 05 are seperate...

Old 06-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey Zbutcher, how ya been?

Check out these...about 2 bucks each, might as well order a few extra in case it happens again. These are the stock replacement studs.
studs

Old 06-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

I broke a stud on the front of my z250 and i did the same thing you did, knocked it out with a hammer and went to the dealer for a new one.

they told me the same thing, they dont make them seperate i would need a new hub. they also told me the studs and hub were one piece and couldnt be seperated (I was holding the broken stud in my hand the whole time)

I ended up just saying screw it and throwing a bolt in there. Hope you get ahold of a new stud though.

and a tip for getting those things out, get a socket the a little bigger than the end of the stud and rest the hub on that and beat it out. the stud will back into the socket.

or put it in a table vice and do the same thing, bigger socket on the back of the hub and push the stud into the socket with the vice.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

Well im not too sure about the z400 but on my ds you can take out the studs and for my ozark the studs look as if they were just pressed in the hole and they would have no way of factory machining it as one piece it would have to b seperate pieces and put them together.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

the studs are pressed in and suzuki wants you to buy the whole hub, its crazy.
once you get one out most major auto parts should have them if not try the link that hondabuster posted
this place might have something

just becareful hitting them with a hammer so you dont bend or break the hub. make sure its well braced behind it when you remove it
and that goes for installing too, this place might have something bolts

Old 07-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys, Thx so much for the helpfull links & info... I did end up just going to napa $1.82 later and I was set up...

HB, Iam good, A bit buzy with work but you know how that goes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] How about yourself???

Hey Mucky, you ever get to ride @ glamis?

Old 07-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

yes I do. the whole week of thanksgiving and 3 to 4 more times the rest of the year

Old 07-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

Damm, I have seen ya post alot should have said something[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Me & 3 of my friends made the trek from MN to Glamis over Easter weekend & the week after...

was my 1st time their, About $hit my shorts the 1st BIG dune I went up.. But it was A blast...Made it to Mexico & the green door[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]..

Seen some cool stuff, lookin fwd to going again nex year[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2006, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondabuster
Hey Zbutcher, how ya been?

Check out these...about 2 bucks each, might as well order a few extra in case it happens again. These are the stock replacement studs.
studs
Dude!
Thanks for the link.
I've been looking for these for a while.
Honda does list the studs separately but they want quite a bit for them.
I'm gonna give the longer ones a try for my 200x.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel studs & a suzuki mechanic (not)