Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Totally Rookie ATV riders-many questions-need experienced help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totally Rookie ATV riders-many questions-need experienced help

ive got something to add to this.. since ive never owned a brand spanking new quad before.. how exactly should i go about the break in process and how often should i change oil. also how often should i grease up the chain.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Drive it. I drove mine like it was already broke in. I did the same with my fourtrax, and its 13+ yrs old and runs like a top. My V2 is faster than alot stock to stock, and for a good reason. Ive read alot of arcticals supporting this theory, and i believe in it 100%

Old 07-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

I broke mine in like i stole it, I was racing the first day, I did take it easy with the 470 kit, took my time and rode it for about 4 hrs , let it cool down and then did it again, changed the oil and then went on a normal ride, had to get used to it. suzuki says every 6 months on the oil change, I think thats way to long between services, I do mine after every 3rd ride, and I had to raise my shifter up 1 for my boots, took a while to get used to it but now the boots are broke in so shifting is easier

Old 07-18-2006, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

I have broken in many sm engines, and I agree with the theory of warm up then running them hard, cool down, hard, cool down, etc. for the break-in. Hard, but not wot. The metals need to develop a fit at temp, during break-in they run a little hotter than after. The dealer reccommended 4 tanks of fuel, before the 1st change, but 2 might be better (I was surprised how long they ran on a tank).

Old 07-18-2006, 06:06 AM
Range Rover

I've done both methods. The old adage was (and still is to some) run it hard (like your going to ride it) during break in and it will make more horsepower later. The truth is all of these bike engines are very well engineered and very forgiving to improper treatment. Through all my research, it always is comes back no matter what engine, proper break-in is highly recommended by the "en-gah-neers." Like bananaman said, heating the engine up and allowing it to cool is important in the early use of the engine... especially for the rings to seat properly. Personally, I have come to prefer a building up of time running/demands on the motor while allowing it to cool between sessions..... That is until I could not stand it anymore and then ride it like it's stolen! Also, I think cost/value has alot to do with the attention to break in too. I was very careful to break in the 14K LS2 motor in my buggy and would never have just fired it up and run it to the extreme from the start.... too much inve$ted!

Old 07-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

that how i did my 470. had close to $3500 in the motor and didnt want to mess it up

Old 07-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

The best way to break in the boots is to just wear them a lot. Wear them around the house and walk around in them. They will break in faster and then you will be more comfortable and more agile in them.

You should have got a safety video with the quads. If not ask your dealer for it. Also you can get a safety COURSE because you bought new machines. Actually you can get a course for each machine so the entire family can go. And you get $100 per ATV from the manufacturer -- something you can probably use after buying 4 new quads!

Old 07-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Range Rover

The dealer could not find any of the videos, and did not know of any safety course. Where/how do I get info on this?

Thanks

Old 07-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

Faster250R is your wifes lt500r faster or slower then your atc310r? lowend and topend?

Old 07-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Range Rover

Beleve it or not the 310 R walks all over the zilla, but the zilla definatley has more low-end torque. Besides, I could not let the wife have a faster bike!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Totally Rookie ATV riders-many questions-need experienced help