Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Kodiak 450 or vinson 500 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 450 or vinson 500 5 speed

looking into buying one of these. Which one has more low end torque? I know that the vinson is faster on top end talking on other forum sites but which one has more torque? Looking for a good mud quad and people have been telling me that irs is better but its only basically 1/2 more GC so i was thinking toward the vinson but if you could help me with my questions thanks.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Range Rover

Vinson all the way. My Vinson has enough torque to turn my 26" Bearclaws in 4wd on concrete. The Vinson is also a real fun bike to trail ride with. As far as mud, I havn't got in any that will bog it down. Hope this helps.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

vinson for sure. hey camozukii, I also have a dynojet kit with an hmf pipe with the quiet core and a twinair filter. Did you notice a difference with your diamond g snorkel and did you have to rejet again afetr you installed it?

Old 08-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Range Rover

5604, yes you will have to rejet after adding snorkel. You are probably running a #124 or 126dj main now with the mods you listed depending on elevation. I am running a #138dj main with the snorkel and cam. I am also running a #40 keihin pilot compared to # 35 stock. The Diamond G really lets more air in and keeps your air intake at a stock level. Highly recommended! I can now keep up with the stock Vinson's with all my added weight and out run them top end.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

IRS (kodiak) will be a lil bit better for very deep mud bogs, plus the kodiaks have a front diff locker..... Thats the theory. Here I ride alot with polaris atvs (all kinds, mostly 4x4 with irs tho) and a buddy who is sometimes riding with us has a yamaha grizzly 660 with irs, front locker and maxxis bighorn tires ... well go figure, he hasnt got thru any holes I didnt get out of by myself ... For really long trail rides IRS is more comfortable tho.

my 2 cents

Old 08-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

I have owned both. The Vinson is by FAR the better of the two machines. Really no competition at all.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Pastor
I have owned both. The Vinson is by FAR the better of the two machines. Really no competition at all.
I think the "FAR" statment is a laugh IMO no quad in the big 5 is that much better....bring your vinson over here.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I gotta see just what you are talking about.....

Old 08-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Range Rover

Easy Pastor, sounds like somebody got offended. I cant think of one point about my old 2001 Big Bear that was comparable to my Vinson. That said some people speak from experience. We dont mean to be harsh, it is just the experience we have had in the past. You can be happy with whatever you have. Its not until you get a Vinson can you honestly compare it to a Kodiac (if you have had one) or a Big Bear in my case or any other atv. Peace...

Old 08-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

Whats all these problems I hear about the vinson then....

Wed June 28, 2006 5:50 AM

pull your front skid plate off and you'll most likely see a hole in the bottom of your front gear case. if you smell the grease its leaking from somewhere. i smelled grease on mine and went to looking for it and thats where mine was. i had a hole about the size of a pencil in the bottom of my gear case. i took it to the dealer and he says a bolt had fell out of the ring gear causing it to bust the gear case. its still at the dealer. they've had it 3 weeks now. oh how i miss my ride
I've had that happen on my 05 Vinson, I just posted a subject yesterday on some of my troubles. But the first time I had the problem, it started out that on the home bound trip of a good ride, it wouldn't go forward either, I had to push the machine to get it going forward, kept doing this until I was about a mile from the truck when it finally wouldn't go any more. When I got it home and opened it up, the case was full of oil. The nut holding the drive clutch had backed off allowing the whole clutch to slide over and allow the rotating spacer behind it to be pushed out of the seal it sits in and puke oil into the housing. In the mean time it chewed all the splines off the clutch, dented up all the rollers in the clutch and smashed up the support bearing that is in the cover, and the belt was totally saturated in oil. This all happened when the machine had about 600KM (around 350 miles) brand new it was.
have a brand new 06 Vinson auto,I have driven it a total of 3 times. While on the trail on the third ride 5 miles out in the woods,I was riding along and it just went dead on me. I found out it had blown the fuse that runs the display,and the ignition.I changed it with the spare fuse that came with it and it blew out that one within1 minute. I thought maybe it had gotten wet so I dried it out sprayed some contact cleaner on it,and its still goingthrough fuses faster than I can buy em. Anyone had this problem or know what the cause may be? ect...ect...etc...

Old 08-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Range Rover

Raptorkk aka kingquadkingquad01. Am I right? You have been doing a lot of comparative posting. What specific response are you looking for? Everybody has had good and bad experiences with all brands. Do you have a atv? If you keep posting this vs that you are gonna keep getting mixed results. Just buy one dude and I guarantee you will have good points and bad points you like and dislike with whatever you choose.

Squeege, peace man, I could list a h**l of a lot more things I have had gone wrong with my Yamahas than I have had happen to my Vinson. But I wont go there. Dind you get your info from experience or copy and paste? j/k

Yamaha Kodiac 450 or Suzuki Vinson 500? That's the question.........

Quick Reply: Kodiak 450 or vinson 500 5 speed