Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger nirvana

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger nirvana

Did I spell that right?

Doesn't it seem a little 'funny' that Eiger owners seem so happy with their rides? I mean, there are very few complainers on here that own an Eiger. It that something anyone else has noticed?

As low-tech machines, do we just have lower expectations, or is there something more fundamental here? Is there really some justification for my reasoning when I decided to get an Eiger and not a TP or a Vinny? I wanted simple, reliable, light weight, but tough. Not too bad looking, either. Didn't like the Vinny's water-cooled system, the plastic bumpers, the funny looking gas tank plastics, or the threat of an expensive electrical failure of the computerized speedo. The TP was pretty bad-***, but I heard about CVT problems (belt deflection), and it kinda looked funny. Now the KQ has some problems, the new 450 has it's share of complainers (whatever), and even the Vinson has had frame breakage. Did we Eiger owners stumble onto something really good here, or what?

Old 09-25-2006, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Eiger nirvana

I haven't had any problems with my Eiger except for havi ngto adjust the rear brake light switch. The brake light was on all the time. It has been a good performing quad.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Trailblazer
Default Eiger nirvana

I agree, the Eiger is a great machine. I put the first 600 miles on, all stock, with almost no problems. I did get a pine needle in my carb that caused it to bog down when full throttle but even with that I was able to ride all day and it was more annoying than anything.

I recently put new tires and skids and have 800 miles now. No issues. (knock on wood) I ride with a few other quads and consistantly think I bought the best all around machine.

It is not the fastest but can always keep up, it gets through everything all the others do and gets over obstacles easier than most. ( I think because it is a little lighter than some 500 and 700s it slides over big trees and rocks easier)

Sometimes I want a little more power but I am starting to look at mods for that.

It is a solid machine, low maintenance and fun to ride.

I have been test driving 700 class utilities but can't find anything that impresses me enough to spend the extra money on. There are many great machines that do things better but not the substantial improvement I originally expected when I started looking to upgrade. It is $3000 to $5000 to upgrade to the big bore utilities and since the Eiger does everything I ask it to I am having a hard time justifying the extra money.

The Eiger was a great choice.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:40 PM
PD
Trailblazer
Default Eiger nirvana

I agree. I think sometimes all the bells and whistles are only a recipe for a lot of headaches. I think the simplistic design of the Eiger makes it reliable. I sure enjoy mine. I am still struggling with the jetting for 6000 feet but that is not an Eiger issue.

In this months "Quad" magazine (Oct) they had a entire section called " Do not buy another 4 x 4 quad until you read this" When I read the article, the Eiger was given stellar input stating that nobody brings the Eigers back so that is Good news. But the big bore, super throwdown deals were in the shop alot and some had some significant issues both mechanically and design flaws. I have to say, I would much rather have a smaller powered quad that never fails me than a big bore all dressed up that is suspect. Last thing I think you would want is a breakdown out in the field. I have a friend that just bought the Bombadier 800. He has had the battery fall out. Wires un plug that caused the quad to die. It has left stranded and stressed out. I'll pass.

Give me an Eiger anyday, I am thinking about another one for my daughters.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Eiger nirvana

This has been my first quad so I can't compare to past experience but I will say mine has done everything I have asked of it. Dependability was my top priority when researching ATVs. My Eiger has never left me stranded or failed to meet my expectations. Same can't be said for alot of other quads.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Range Rover
Default Eiger nirvana

It is a very good all quad. It lacks some this I really would like like a dif lock but I have only really needed it one time. My Eiger is the smallest cc machine but only fails me in a all out race. Never let me down. I have one really good story about when the Eiger showed up the big belt drive units. We came across a wash out. We were told that we can make it as long as you dont take the middle. First guy went and smkoed his belt, the next 2 guys went and barley made it got some water in the carb and belt box. I took it without a problem. The last person tried to take anoter way and got stuck. There were people on both sides scared to hit it after us. We continued our ride but had to cross this area on the way back. We stopped and people were standing and saying that no one has made it through all day ect.. I said I made it they laughed at me. I hit it again and made it. The other guys went around on a trail that someone blazed. When I got to the other side the people that were laughing tried it. He got stuck!!

Old 09-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Eiger nirvana

Well, I hope I don't jinx myself but I feel the same way as you. I've got an 05 Eiger auto and although I only have alittle shy of 100 miles on the speedo, I really like the quad. Rugged, functional, dependable and simplistic plus fun to ride. Le's just hope that the folks at Suzuki hear all this and continue to make them. Good riding to all.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Eiger nirvana

I like mine minus the CV breaking and the wheel bearings wearing out with not much mud and good wash manners, now the front diff seals are leaking. Over all I couldn't be happier, other then the front end, which drives me up a wall. I'll say coming off a sport machine the front shocks could be much stiffer, hell I hit the bumper on the ground when I try to ramp...lol. The next bike I'll own will still be this Eiger, I know it wont' die, It may suffer minor damage (like a gravel speedbump at 55mph, flipped it 2 times, helmet came off, shoe came off, glove came off, and after I found the bike I rode it another 25 miles home) Great bikes...

Old 09-26-2006, 01:39 AM
Range Rover
Default Eiger nirvana

You're "spot on".......I think the Eiger is a bit of an exceptional quad.
I just turned 3100 miles on my 03 auto........with a new set of tires at 2000 and a rear drive shaft seal some time back........that's it.
It's run the snow and mud of the pacific northwest........and the Black Rock Desert of northern Nevada.
I pack about 100 of gear.....maintain it regularly........
It just seems to run better all the time......(and it's still on it's original belt !)
Yes, the Eiger is a keeper !!

Old 09-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eiger nirvana

2,600 Miles on my '02 with no major issues. I've enjoyed the reliability and performance but will eventually give in to one of the big bores with the extra features. I seriously doubt that I'll ever get rid of the Eiger though. At just under 6' tall, my oldest son will fit fine if and when I decide to get a larger bike.

Search through the Eiger posts - all those "best bang for the buck" quotes are there for a reason.

Jaybee

Quick Reply: Eiger nirvana