Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

spitter sputter

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spitter sputter

I have a 2002 eiger with 456 miles on it. Today my wife and i rode 15 miles on some trails(slow riding) when i was coming home on hard packed snow i was running around 25 mph and it started spittering and sputtering. I changed the plug and it didnt help. it runs sorta o.k. with the choke full on but with the choke off it will idle fine but when i give it gas in neutreal or in gear(automatic) it just spits and sputters??!! HELP please, i dont know if carb got dirt in it or what? any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I do have a prime position on the petcock.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default spitter sputter

Assuming you have plenty of gas....sounds like the main jet has an obstuction. A temporary fix which might get it running right, is to open the drain on the bottom of the float bowl and while gas is flowing (in prime position on gas tank), lightly rap on the side of the carb. If this doesnt improve things, and even if it does, the float bowl needs to be dropped, and the crud and floaties need to come out of there.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default spitter sputter

Yeah, its full on gas.LOL. I will try the suggestion you made and i guess have it cleaned at a shop. I dont know enough about ATV's to take it apart myself. What is a solution to stopping this from happening again? Will an inline fuel filter help? would rejetting the stock carb help? I have read alot of forums claiming these Eigers are jetted to lean. I also put a new plug in it today and the one i took out was a tan color(normal i think) thanks for your help and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. With the petcock in prime position i'm assuming this allows fuel to flow without the engine running? thanks again.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default spitter sputter

Its funny how many times the eiger has plugged jets. Read past posts, and youll see a pattern. An inline filter is about the only solution. Also leaving the float bowl dry when the quad is gonna sit for over a few days with out being started. Just use the drain at the bottom of the carb to leave it dry,after shutting the motor off, because the eiger doent have an off position on the gas tank. The gas valve is vacumn operated in on and res, and going to prime bypasses the need for vacumn, to allow gas to flow.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default spitter sputter

Again thanks for the info. I do see a trend on the whole eiger carb issue. i am gonna drain it today and see what happens. thanks again, you are much appreciated.