Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Air Filter ???s

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter ???s

I just purchased a really clean 03 Vinson 4x4 foot shift ATV. It had been jetted with a K&N kit with a K&N filter an supposedly done by a dealer. When I tried to buy a "prewrap" for the filter, I ordered the one that should have matched up with the K&N filter for my model of machine. But......the prewrap won't fit.

After doing a little more investigating it appears that the kit installed on my machine was actually for an 02 Quad Master 500. Here are my questions.

Should I worry about that fact that the wrong filter has been installed?
Should I replace the filter with the one that matches what the MFG recommends?
Could I just buy a pre filter for the current K&N and not worry about the fact it is slightly larger than the stock filter should be?

What are your opinions of foam prefilters for a K&N filter and should I look at foam versus the prewrap for my K&N filter system.

As I ride in Utah, I will be riding at high elevations and in commonly very dusty conditions.

Thanks!
Firehawk

Old 02-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Filter ???s

If it is very dusty like you say, I would be worried that some fine dust might be sneaking into the system.....

This is a hot topic, and you will probably hear three sides to every story. But the facts are that fine dust will add up and do long term damage to your engine.

I would definitely get the proper filter for your machine, and if you cannot get a pre-wrap for the K&N I would just go with a good foam filter.....

To be honest I used to use K&N in everything I owned years ago (auto and ATV) but these new engines rely on such finite tolerances that it seems the K&Ns provide little to no advantage anymore IMO.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter ???s

SS97 Thanks for the advice!

I spoke with a mechanic yesterday and he told me the filter is made by K&N for Quad Works and it is part of a Quad works kit. He said that as long as the prefilter fit in the right place, that I should expect to have zero problems if I keep the filter maintained properly.

So, I am now waiting for the proper prefilter to arrive and I will go from there.

Thanks!

FH