Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

EIGER caught fire

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EIGER caught fire

I can't win for losing!!! Eiger has been acting up lately, bogging out, losing fuel, seemed like dirt in the carb. Anyway, she seemed to clear her own throat the other day so i went and put an inline filter on like a lot of you guys have suggested to prevent dirt from getting in again. Anyway tonight she shut off and wouldn't start. Seems to wind over fast. So I hauled the plug out and turned the motor over, Gas sprayed out of the cylinder and the bitch caught fire. I got it put out without doing any apparent damage. But the bike still won't start. Lots of spark, plug is coming out wet, but no start.I wonder if it IS the carb or is the cylinder wall damage. Again she winds over fast onthe starter, but the pull starter is still hard to pull.Any ideas? Btw it is an '03

Old 02-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just a thought, but is your fuel petcock on "prime" ? ...if so the gas is just gonna run out (gravity fed)...could be flooding, and make it tough to pull the starter rope.
Vent tube on the carb still connected?
Jus' some ideas....

Old 02-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Trailblazer

thanks. the prime position is not on, and the vent tube is ok. checked those right away. I would just bring it to the dealer, but they are closed for the weekend and we just had a BIG snowfall last night. I really needed the bike to work to day(saturday). I'm gonna have to try to figure something out with it today.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer

i hope it works for ya, i have no idea. but today was was runningm my quad and poil was leaking out and hitting the exhaust and that caught on fire, it was right below the gas tank. as soon asi saw it i threw snow on it. my quads a death trap. thats why i'm probably going to get an eiger myself

Old 02-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

Pull it through a few times with the pull starter. If it pulls easy, with apparant lack of compression, then you may have a valve problem. First, check your clearances.... just in case.

If you push the starter button and it sounds different than it usually does, turning over extra fast, and sounding a little whiney... hate to say it, but you've got some mechanical problems potentially. If your valve clearances are OK, it's time to tear your top end down and do some serious diagnosis.

good luck.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

hey everybody, thanks for the ideas. I have the bike fixed now. Check out the post called" SHARDS OF CASTING IN THE CARB". Quote: follow up to the post of SHARDS IN THE CARB> Last nite my'03 eiger shut off(see post"eiger caught fire") so today i take the carb apart and find a shard of metal casting jamming the needle valve open. WHAT A SHOCK, not to mention i was very pissed!!! It is safe to assume that it belongs to the carb itself, plus a small peice of rubber. Both peices were the size of the top of a tooth pick, approx a quarter of an inch long.anybody hear of this happening before? BTW, the bike is now fixed and running better than ever".