Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

oil filter know this

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRT opinion

So i did some reading of past posts and stuff, Apparently their have been tests showing that some aftermarket filter really do suck. then again some of the other are petty good. any name brand that uses paper and paper only are worthless(fram and all of frams sub groups) I guess purolator's PureOne filters are the best. And for about the same price as the OEM filter. Anyone know the size/number for PureOne filter fits a LTR450 or a Z400? They have the same filter size.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default oil filter know this

just to add to that alittle!!

FRAM (orange crap) has definetly gone down hill in the past years. as for the pureilator/pure 1, they are ok, but definetly not the best. definetly stay away from anything FRAM related (quaker state ect...) i've seen some ReALLY BAD things happen to engines due to a faulty filter! i'ves seen the end results of a FRAM filter being sucked apart by a stock BIG BLOCK chevy..........new crank, rods and bearins was the end result! for an extra $3-4 it's worth the protection of a better filter!

after seeing filter tests (automotive filters) NAPA/WIX has one of the highest qulity filtration components, as well as MotorCraft!! although i don't think MotoCraft has a comparable # to most ATV filters. NAPA does!! and the NAPA gold filters arn't that expensive either! don't be sucked in by the hype of the "name brands"...........K&N wasn't outstanding compared to NAPA/WIX, in price and performance! alot of the $ you pay is for the name!

long story short WIX brand filter (top notch racing filter, and everyday filter) makes NAPA brand filters also! i just talked to our NAPA rep (who supplies the company i work for) about ATV filter. he said that they can either cross refernce the factory # to a NAPA filter or if you bring the old one in they can match it up!

i use NAPA filters on all my vehicles (2000 F250 V10, 92 Z71, 79 Chevy mud dragster) both oil and fuel!! i havn't reached the break in oil change/service on my Vinson yet, but after the dealership does there first "free" service, it's off to NAPA for me!!

Old 03-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Amsoil i believe uses the best technology in oil filters, with the nano fiber

Old 03-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: TeamMudd
just to add to that alittle!!

FRAM (orange crap) has definetly gone down hill in the past years. as for the pureilator/pure 1, they are ok, but definetly not the best. definetly stay away from anything FRAM related (quaker state ect...) i've seen some ReALLY BAD things happen to engines due to a faulty filter! i'ves seen the end results of a FRAM filter being sucked apart by a stock BIG BLOCK chevy..........new crank, rods and bearins was the end result! for an extra $3-4 it's worth the protection of a better filter!

after seeing filter tests (automotive filters) NAPA/WIX has one of the highest qulity filtration components, as well as MotorCraft!! although i don't think MotoCraft has a comparable # to most ATV filters. NAPA does!! and the NAPA gold filters arn't that expensive either! don't be sucked in by the hype of the "name brands"...........K&N wasn't outstanding compared to NAPA/WIX, in price and performance! alot of the $ you pay is for the name!

long story short WIX brand filter (top notch racing filter, and everyday filter) makes NAPA brand filters also! i just talked to our NAPA rep (who supplies the company i work for) about ATV filter. he said that they can either cross refernce the factory # to a NAPA filter or if you bring the old one in they can match it up!

WIX makes napa and carquest filters, the napa silver line and carquest bravo filters are oem spec, so getting the gold or premiem carquest filter is worth the extra money, and if your still not sure you can always get the dealer filter made for the bike and pay 2 to 3 times as much

Old 03-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

At Autozone, there is a small selection of STP filters, which after disassembly, seems to be of extremely high quality. It's what I use.