Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

mechanics please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mechanics please help!!!

I have a 1980s 4wd quadrunner that runs great, but will not engage into low or high gear. It only works in super low. When I move the lever into low or high gear the motor just revs. Nothing else happens. Any thoughts or suggestions? I figure it is something in the tranny, but I am definitely not a mechanic.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Shane

Old 03-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1989 SUZUKI LT-4WD Quad Runner 1987-1995- 5 speed?
Please specify Transmition designs are a little different
Under what conditions this happen?
Was it always doing this or it just happen the next day you went to ride it?
When you sift it to a higher gear do you feel some resistance thru the lever?

Give some specifics someone may have had the same thing happen to them and can share it with you, the story that is.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

The condition has been like this since I got the atv. The person I got it from did not know what was wrong with it. Reverse, 2wd, 4wd, and diff lock all work. It is when I want to go into high or low gear that nothing happens.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: shanem
The condition has been like this since I got the atv. The person I got it from did not know what was wrong with it. Reverse, 2wd, 4wd, and diff lock all work. It is when I want to go into high or low gear that nothing happens.
When you say hi and lo gear I am thinking in my mind you are describing 1st and 5th?
Let's start by letting me know if I have the correct machine please.
If I do there are 4 control cables dealing with the gear shifting.

Here is a parts online of different brand click here

Find the brand and model and year of your machine if it is there.
This will at least show you what parts are doing what.
Lets's focus on the easier stuff first befor anything else. Until someon chimes in and knows exactly what it is.

Handlebar control cables
Transmission
shifting mechanism
Transmission levers.

Take a look at this and let me know or post something that someone can help you with it.
Not sure I can but I will try. I think all you need is to check out the control cables and external linkages
Starting at neutral and work your way up one gear shift at a time. and then reverse.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

When I say high and low gear, what I mean is range. The atv has a super low, low and high range lever in the front of the seat. It only works in super low range. Sorry If I confused you, I guess I didnt use the right wording. When I pull the lever down to engage low or high range, it goes in, but nothing happens. When I try to go the engine just revs. Found out the year is a 1991, but I don't know which model. thanks Shane

Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Range Rover

Shanem the URL link I posted has a range of years that that particular model falls under.
Be patient with me until someone hits on the thread that has this type of machine or did see the hardware first hand at one point in time.

Does it have 3 shift levers?
Center lever is the reverse...
It also shows there is tranny 1 & tranny 2.

When you are done here you will be a mechanic for your particular machine. it is only moving parts and as long as you can follow a movement you will start to visualize things in a different way.
Have confidence in yourself.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes it does have three shift levers, and reverse is in the center. What do you mean there is a tranny 1 and 2. Is there 2 different transmissions types for this model? If so how do I figure out which one I have? I appreciate all your help. thanks, Shane

Old 03-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Range Rover

tranny short for transmission.
it has dual transmission
interlinked by gears as you shift to ingage one with the other.
If you go you go to the URL link to the site MR cycle it has diagrams of parts
1987 Susuki
LT-4wd Quad Runner 1987 -1995
There is a listing breakdown on parts.
Then what we will do is find which shift lever goes to which transmission that will bring us closer to where the problem is.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: shanem
Yes it does have three shift levers, and reverse is in the center. What do you mean there is a tranny 1 and 2. Is there 2 different transmissions types for this model? If so how do I figure out which one I have? I appreciate all your help. thanks, Shane
Shanem what we need to do is to get you to that site.
The LT 4-wd is unique almost saying a one of a kind model for the range in years.

I am sitting infrnt of my computer waiting to see if you are willing to follow me as I ask you more questions.
I am Downloading and pasting the images of that parts site so I can look at the whole picture whithout going back and forth.
I am an old Honda Mechanic and when it comes to transmissions not engaging they all work the same way gears meshing with gears. there is no magic involved.
I need you to confirm that the parts shown in this site looks the same as your machines parts.

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

Such as (Gear shifting) listing

ANd (Transmission Lever) listing

You can follow the control cables to the specific lever and you will know which part of the drive train...(transmission)
If you do not feel comfortable with my help please let me know I will not be hurt thanks...and discontinue..
Place a different thread with more info in it so you will get more hits on the help you need.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I did follow the lever back to the transmission. It is one of the top levers on the tranny. I figured out which lever it is, but the problem is I do not know the first thing when it comes to taking apart, and diagnosing transmission problems. I guess it will be a learning experience, I just hope I could put the thing back together. I will take pics later so you can better see what I am talking about. thanks, shane

Quick Reply: mechanics please help!!!