Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

HELP! z400

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! z400

Hey guys,

i got my z400 last year...it is an 06' and im loving it....

currently it is all stock and im looking for some guidance on where to go now...

currently im aiming for a yoshimura full system pipe, new tires, and a K & N air filter kit....these 3 things seem to be the most basic upgrades and a good start for me( i think) ...this is my first quad and im not sure where to start on engine upgrades....

i am told by friends to upgrade the cam after those 3 above things....im not really sure what a cam does or how it works...i have been looking at cams from HOTCAMS, but i am confused what i would buy? i see exhaust cam, and an intake cam....?

could somone please give me a little guidance on where to start going on upgrading this? or some help on a cam? any help at all dealing with my first few upgrades would be great....thanks@

by the way...i am not into racing i use my quad for trail riding and woods...some jumping too, mostly all trails tho.

any questions please let me know...i would like to know what i need by christmas...

and im looking to stay within a price range of a couple hundred bucks...a list of things in order of how i should get them would be great...

help me out guys!

Old 12-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default HELP! z400

Ok, first off if you are only wanting to spend a couple hundred I would go with a pipe, and the one you suggested is a good one. If you do want a cam in your bike Hotcams is a good place to start, also look at Web cams, I can tell ya from experience that the 109's do a great job. When you buy them get both the intake and exhaust cause they work better together, also when installing cams, guy's usually get their head worked over to let the cam work better.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default HELP! z400

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Eastwood19

Hey guys,

currently it is all stock and im looking for some guidance on where to go now...

currently im aiming for a yoshimura full system pipe, new tires, and a K & N air filter kit....these 3 things seem to be the most basic upgrades and a good start for me( i think) ...this is my first quad and im not sure where to start on engine upgrades....

i am told by friends to upgrade the cam after those 3 above things....im not really sure what a cam does or how it works...i have been looking at cams from HOTCAMS, but i am confused what i would buy? i see exhaust cam, and an intake cam....?

could somone please give me a little guidance on where to start going on upgrading this? or some help on a cam? any help at all dealing with my first few upgrades would be great....thanks@

by the way...i am not into racing i use my quad for trail riding and woods...some jumping too, mostly all trails tho.

any questions please let me know...i would like to know what i need by christmas...

and im looking to stay within a price range of a couple hundred bucks...a list of things in order of how i should get them would be great...

help me out guys!</end quote></div>

I would do exactly what you have already mentioned for starters(filter/exhaust). Don't forget to rejet after filter and exhaust install. From there , I would only install a Hotcam stage 1 intake for now(if money is an issue). Stage 1 intake should drop right in without you having to re-shim it. Then you can install a stage 1 exhaust.This will require you to re-shim it. You can get the shims from the dealer or buy a Hotcam shim kit($60.00-$100.00) depending where you buy it). Its definitely cheaper to install the intake first. After that , It depends how deep your pockets are!!!! Good luck.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default HELP! z400

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: AIRMOBILE101

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Eastwood19

Hey guys,

help me out guys!</end quote></div>

I would do exactly what you have already mentioned for starters(filter/exhaust). Don't forget to rejet after filter and exhaust install. From there , I would only install a Hotcam stage 1 intake for now(if money is an issue). Stage 1 intake should drop right in without you having to re-shim it. Then you can install a stage 1 exhaust.This will require you to re-shim it. You can get the shims from the dealer or buy a Hotcam shim kit($60.00-$100.00) depending where you buy it). Its definitely cheaper to install the intake first. After that , It depends how deep your pockets are!!!! Good luck.</end quote></div>

Exactly[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]