Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger EPI Clutch Kit??How Hard what gains

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger EPI Clutch Kit??How Hard what gains

Im wanting to run a EPI clutch kit for my Automatic Eiger. How hard is it to install and am I going to notice a difference and not waste my time installing one?????I run ITP Mud Lite XTR 26' with type 7 itp wheels, Vinson Carb, 135 main jet, HMF Penland Pro slip on, and it bogs me down specially when im climbing. So im hoping i get the gains back that I had when i ran the stock tires and wheels. So just let me know and give me any tips on installing thanks

phil

Old 03-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Range Rover

Hi Phil. You'll at least get back to where you were before the big wheels, maybe a little more. It's fun to put the stockers back on once in a while to really let it rip. I lost the ability to spin my wheels unless it was really slick, and would feel it bogging down on a long uphill. I got it all back and then some. Not sure what I lost on top end. My speedometer only reads 3mph less at full speed, but it should read less anyway with bigger tires.
Allow yourself a day in the garage if you work slow. Access to a spring compressor and impact wrench make a big difference. Also, be sure to order the inner clutch cover gasket to have it on hand in case you rip the old one when taking it apart.
The directions from EPI are really good. I didn't need to open the shop manual.
Good luck!

Old 03-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Range Rover

The Vinson carb you have on it is causing the lil Eiger engine to run rich. Put the Eiger carb back on and jet it for the exhaust you have. I have friends who run 27" tires on the 400 bikes and have no problems with hills, just reverse gear because of the tall gearing. Hope everything worked out with your buddies repo.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Range Rover

Camosuki is right, the 400 has plenty of power to turn the big wheels. The problem is on our auto eigers, the bigger wheels puts it in a soft spot on the power band. The clutch kit just moves it back to a better place.
And I guess technically to answer the original question, there is no gain in power, just a movement to where you can use the power you already have.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Range Rover

I am also planning on changing the belt out at the same, ??????which dont ya think i should?????????Is there much difference in the belts? ive seen like a dayco belt range around 35-40 and ive seen go up around 70. just wondering if i need to spend the extra cash thats all. thanks

Old 03-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Hey man, Just a couple of questions.
1 How loud is that penland? that or HMF utility pipe is about the same price.
2 went from 25in. stock to 27's also 2in. wider front and rear. still runs great but EVERYONE says go ahead & redo the clutch. let me know how yours does will ya.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

Can I do this on my manual Eiger and will it be worth it? It is all stock for now but who doesn't want bigger and better? I live in Alabama, I want to know also what will be the best jets to go to. Thanks for all the help in advance. New to fourwheelers.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Range Rover

AFRAID2FLY, I'm not as familiar with the manuals, but I would think since you control where the clutch kicks in on a manual it would be a waste. You can updgrade your clutch disks to kevlar, but unless you are having slipping issues I probably wouldn't do it.
Jets will depend on what other mods you have done. It's been a few years, but with my pipe and k&n I think mines a 135. Easiest thing to do is pick up a few from the dealer. They're just a few bucks a piece and work your way up til the spark plugs reads right. A couple jets and a small brass washer are a lot cheaper than a $50 kit.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Range Rover

I am going to have to disagree with you Limpinglizard, the clutch kit for the manuals is an awesome improvement. Just like the autos the kit lets the engine rev more before full clutch engagement. The kit for the manual consists of heavier springs for the wet clutch, at a cost of around $50.00 and you have more low end grunt to get the tires moving. As far as the jetting, I have found the Dynojet kits worth their weight for the simple fact that you have an assortment of jets to use for future modding and jetting issues. Let alone the new jet needle and spring that will increase throttle response. Drill the slide and you will also see a difference.
Come and check out highlifter.com, we have cookies and a world of info.lol

Old 03-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Range Rover

Thanks, good to know about the manuals. I'm thinking about giving my Eiger to the wife and picking one up. Have been thinking about drilling the slide as well.
The Dynojet/Eiger kit doesn't come with a spring though, so for less than $10, you can get 3 jets for all the range in elevation you need and adjust your existing needle jet with a brass washer. Not saying one is right or wrong, Dynojet makes a great product, just a lot cheaper for very similar end results.
Sweet looking Vinsons by the way, you set those up nice!

Quick Reply: Eiger EPI Clutch Kit??How Hard what gains