Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Building a bridge, need some opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a bridge, need some opinions...

So my KQ300 weighs a hefty 600 lbs. Just as heavy as it's father!! Anyheew, I am building a bridge to gap myself to the trails behind my house. It's about a ten foot drop down to the creek either side, about twelve - fifteen feet across. I have thought and thought how to make a bridge, but have just decided to buy like eight 4x4x12 peices of wood (treated). Making like a loading ramp style, 4 on each side. Do you think this will hold the quad and myself (totalling 800 lbs) over the creek without snapping. Just wanting some opinions before I hurt myself, and ruin my quad.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

I have made a bridge that has lasted maybe 5 years so far with no problems and everyone drive over it. Now the gap isn't very large, but what we did was used strong trees that fell over and put them across the gap and then place wood over it to make for a smooth bridge.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, I've seen that done before, problem is that I have no useable down trees around. I guess it's the climate here, but they are all either termite infested or just straight up rotten and ready to break. Do you think the 4x4s would do the trick?

Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

I would think that the 4x4's would do just fine, but I would also add some extra support from the underneath using 4x4's and try and drive them into the ground and support the bridge. I think this would do just fine and screw everything together don't bother with nails. Also dig out some dirt from both sides where the boards end and let it overhang a little for even more support. Once you are all done give it a try with smaller weight and step it up from there and see how well it will support you. Hope this helps.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Range Rover

Yeah, good info. I have thought of putting supports underneath it but am worried that if I make to good of a bridge then I might get in trouble, the trails I refer to are really miles and miles of maintenance roads with woods on either side maintained by our city utility company. Another wards, it's not my land I plan on doing this on, more of a common area (owned by the state). Anyway, yeah, it'll be sketchy any way you look at it the first time I try it, LOL. Man, I will have to video it so that if it goes bad, maybe I could win worlds funniest or something. I've been ridding on the road to get to the trails, and it's getting rough on the tires (wearing way fast), and the fact that the cops could bust me if they wanted to be jerks (but haven't thus far, and have drivin right by them and waived with a smile, helmet and all with nothing but returned greetings). It's just in my neighborhood so it's not to sketchy, but still "illegal" in my state.
Thanks again

Old 05-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Haha no problem. The bridge we built isn't on my land either, but no1 really bothers us. Let me know how you make out and ill be watching americas funniest vids to see if you make it lol.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

I have the same situation, there is a brook behind my house about the same span but not as deep... well maybe on one side. The guy a couple doors down got some old creosote telephone poles laid across, we are going to deck it over later on mostly to use for ski-doo, we can actually drive through the brook down stream a bit on quad. Is there anywhere near you where they are replacing utility poles? Usually they are happy to get rid of the old ones, we have 6 in total so they only have to be 1-2 feet apart, strong enough to drive even an old king quad over, haha.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Range Rover

My resources are limited to pretty much just 4x4s because I would have no way to move those light poles even if I could find some. That would be ideal though. Gosh, I don't even know how I am gonna get the 4x4x12s home, LOL. I don't have a trailer, no need for one yet, until now, dam, LOL.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

Lumber yards deliver.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Range Rover

Didn't think of that, but would they deliver just eight 4x4s? They would probably charge me an arm and a leg for delivery with the way things are now and all. But I think some rope and driving slow will do the trick on the roof. That might be interesting in itself, LOL. Wish me luck, going tomm. and putting in the work with a few freinds.

Quick Reply: Building a bridge, need some opinions...