Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Removing 2000 King Quad 300 rear inside U-Joint yoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing 2000 King Quad 300 rear inside U-Joint yoke

Hey Everyone,

My 2000 KQ 300 has a little slop between the rear drive shaft and the left inside u-joint yoke.
What puzzles me is when I rotate the joint with the quad in neutral, like it would turn when riding, it's pretty tight which is good. The yoke however is not fitting tightly against the axle. I can wiggle it a couple of millimeters in all directions. It seems to pivot somewhat with the inside edge of the yoke being the pivot point. Another way to describe this movement would be if the axle was tapered and the yoke slot straight. The right rear side and left front have no slop at all, but the right front is showing the same type of off axis movement. I took the left rear wheel and suspension off to see if I could identify the problem, but something is holding the yoke onto the rear drive shaft. I haven't got the manual yet for this quad so I didn't want to force it apart without knowing. Inside of the inner u-joint yoke there is an orange seal of some type that looks like it may be covering a bolt or circlip. Does anybody know what I dealing with here?

On a side note, I didn't record the original alignment of the 2 u-joints on the left rear (stupid) but if I put the half axle back to be in phase with the inner u-joint, then the left wheel u-joint will be one quater turn off from the right wheel u-joint. They won't match. I've heard of cars having opposite u-joint phasing on the axle to stop vibrations but is this the case here?

Thanks for any replies,

Patrick