Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

gonna jet my 08 400 kq

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gonna jet my 08 400 kq

Well I have done allot of research and the edger carb is the same as the kq 400, the compression is the same also so im getting the dynojet kit for the 07 edger and im gonna put it on and see how it works with the stock air filter then im gonna put the k&n back on. I will keep everyone posted as soon as I get it. Anyone try this already or have any guesses if its gonna work or not???

Old 12-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

i dont see why it would not work.. the KQ is a renamed eiger. might be just me, but i would rather run a stock filter over a k&n. if you look at data, the k&n allows larger particles of dirt and ect. into your engine. that is why i use a foam filter, for piece of mind.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah true thats why I have a pre filter over it.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer

I'm sure you've probably looked around, but if not, there is a great thread that covers moding the Eiger (which I think is what you have with diff plastics and stickers)...just do a search for Eiger running too lean. That thread is where I got most of the mods in my ID section regarding the Keihin CVK32 carb...and I must say, it was worth the time and little dollars (around $3 i think)...definitely woke it up. Hope this helps.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

well it works well with the dynojet kit I put on the 118 jet and installed the new needle. Im still fine tuning it but so far so good. I may go up a jet size I dunno yet. I wanna snorkel it first and hope hmf makes a pipe.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

I was riding today and I just couldnt get it tuned right so I put on the dyno jet 124 jet and went back to the stock needle I just got frustrated it was running fine with the 118 and the dyno jet needle 2.5 turns on the screw just no perfect but every time I turned the screw in either direction differnt things happened it would either flood out or back fire or cut off. The stock jet on the kq 400 is 125 anyone have any ideas to get more power out of it. I wanna beef it up before the mud nationals this year.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like the same thing I went through. Don't know where you live (elevation), but I'm in the Cincinnati area. After doing the mods in my ID, all the problems went away. Turns out, the pilot jet still runs a bit lean at 3 turns out (the most turns that will affect the flow). I didn't want to get a new pilot jet, so I followed some suggestions and put the #4 washer under the needle head, to lift it out of the jet slightly at rest. Stepping up to the 132 jet beefed up the top end power, and the clipped spring helped get the thing going a bit faster. After rejetting, I removed the arrester to balance out the fuel/air mixture. Runs smooth as silk now. Cold starts are a million times better, top end power is much improved and the thing will get up and go at the drop of a hat. By the way, I don't have the dynojet 132 jet in...mine is the OEM type...I think they are numbered differently, and as I recall, I think there is a thread with a conversion chart somewhere.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer

How much did you clip off the spring ? Im gonna go get a washer tomorrow. Also how did you get the spark arrester out ?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

found the chart looks like im gonna have to go down a couple sizes 124 dj = 138kl, 122 dj = 135kl so I guess I will go to a 120 and go get a spacer by the way im in new orleans. we are below sea level.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer

I initially clipped around 1/2" off (I was being cautious initially because I didn't want to take it too far), but that didn't help much. I ended up taking 1" off and finally saw a difference. There is still room to take off, but I thought to just leave well enough alone...needless to say, the take-off is much improved. And for the washer, I think I read somewhere to use a brass washer so it won't rust on you. As for the spark arrestor, first remove the hex head screw from the bottom of the muffler tip. After that, if you look at the muffler tip, it has that lip that sticks out wider than the muffler pipe and is curled back on itself. If you take a flat head screwdriver from the back and a hammer, you can tap it out of the pipe. After I figured out that the smaller diameter pipe you see inside the exhaust is actually welded to that wider section, it was a piece of cake...will take you 5mins if that. Being in cincinnati, around 500ft elevation or so, the same setup should work great, but if you need to, you may need to go to a larger jet due to the lower elevation and thicker air. (if my memory is correct, the higher you go, the thinner, less 02, in the air and you need less fuel to have the right mixture.) But considering I'm not that elevated, the setup should be good.

Quick Reply: gonna jet my 08 400 kq