Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'89 Quadsport Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 Quadsport Mods

I'd love to bore it, but right now, I'm on a tight budget so that will have to wait for a while. I'm wondering about changing sprockets tho to get a little more snap. I also found a set of blue nerf bars for an 87 q sport that I might pick up if shipping is not too brutal....oh, i've also ordered a twist throttle kit for it so i can get rid of that thumb throttle. Also found a nice set of blue aluminum renthal bars i'm going to pick up in the next couple of weeks too...

Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider

We were just talking about sprockets and chains in the big thread. You like math??? Lots of math involved there!

You'll get more power to the ground using the smallest sprcokets you can get away with. Myself and my buddy with the 250S both like the 11 up front with a non-oring chain.

I've tried 11, 12, 13, 14 up front and 37, 39, and 41 in back. My favorite is the 11/37. I hated 14/anything. The others are somewhere in the middle. With the 11/37 I can still get up to 50mph+ and I can get there REALLY fast! Since there is not a flat part of land where I live, going any faster is really a tough thing to do. So, that works ok for me. The guys out west like a little more top speed, so the consensus there is 13/39 with 20 inch tires.

I'll see if I can dig up the page number of the big thread so you can read the conversation.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Should be on page 269: http://forums.atvconnection.co...AR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

The idea is the smaller the sprockets, the less chain and sprocket weight. And not only that, but the chain actually accelerates less! And not only that (I don't know if you've had a class in statics, but..) if you draw a force diagram and totally remove the rear sprocket from the drawing and just use the forces of the chain, the smaller sprocket will have less torque applied to it by the chain (since the smaller sprocket is, well, smaller). Its a win, win, win situation.

The downside is increased chain wear since more force travels thru the chain. Increased swingarm bearing wear since the increased force on the chain actually tries to pull the swingarm to the left under power. And increased sprocket wear, for obvious reasons. Those are things I'm certainly willing to accept for the extra pep and acceleration. I can replace chains and sprockets. And my swingarm bearings have been extensively beefed, so no worries there.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

What brand of bearings would you recommend for this app... and what sprockets would you recommend? I haven't even looked to see how many teeth mine have yet, but I'm going to assume (again) that they're stock. I'm eyeing up a DID chain. Any suggestions otherwise?

Old 02-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

We were just talking about sprockets and chains in the big thread. You like math??? Lots of math involved there!

You'll get more power to the ground using the smallest sprcokets you can get away with. Myself and my buddy with the 250S both like the 11 up front with a non-oring chain.

I've tried 11, 12, 13, 14 up front and 37, 39, and 41 in back. My favorite is the 11/37. I hated 14/anything. The others are somewhere in the middle. With the 11/37 I can still get up to 50mph+ and I can get there REALLY fast! Since there is not a flat part of land where I live, going any faster is really a tough thing to do. So, that works ok for me. The guys out west like a little more top speed, so the consensus there is 13/39 with 20 inch tires.

I'll see if I can dig up the page number of the big thread so you can read the conversation.</end quote></div>

That exactly my situation here...not a lot of long flats for going *****-out for any length of time, so in trade, I'd love to have quicker acceleration as a tradeoff...

Old 02-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Well, like I said, my friend and I both like the 11. I have 11/37 with 20's and he has the 11/39 with 22's. He likes wheelies and I like drifting. He likes cruising and I like hauling ***. The way I ride is to punch the gas all the way and fan the clutch to shift gears.

But gear ratios are about like "what's your favorite color or food or whatever?" Everybody likes something a little different. I certainly don't hate the 13/39 gear, but if you have stock gears (12/39) and think they're too tall, you'll probably like the 11/37 too. 13/39 would be a step in the wrong direction. The only problem is finding a 37 for cheap. I just happened to find one on ebay a while back. Actually, I wanted a 36, but 37 fell in my lap so..... 11/39 might be a little too low if you have 20 inch tires. I don't think you'll break 50mph with that set. But you may like it... Never know till ya try. You can get a 11 for 8 bucks US, so its not a big gamble.

For the chain, I like this one: http://www.rockymountainatv.co...=208&prodFamilyId=2084

It has "windows" cut out of every other link to save weight. Its a super low friction chain. And no o-rings to slow you down. O-ring chains are like riding with the brakes on in my opinion. At $25 US for 100 links, I can replace a chain a couple times a year if I need to. So far, I'm a long way off from needing a new one. DID and EK may have better chains at twice the price, but I can't find anything I don't like about the one I have, so I'll probably never know. And if you read the big thread, you'll see where I stressed out about chain selection for probably around 100 pages of that thread. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Quadsport_Scotty

What brand of bearings would you recommend for this app... </end quote></div>

Cheap ones I guess. Which bearings? I don't think there is much of a difference in roller bearings. They're all kinda the same I think. I usually err on the side of the Japanese stuff. You don't want anything from China, Taiwan, Mexico, etc. Canada may be ok. They are pretty good with metals. The coins (Maple Leaf) are pure gold up there, unlike the US (Eagle). [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]