1988 Suzuki LT-4WD No Spark!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=AdirondackGal;2852146]
Originally Posted by Kenm

That is correct. How can that be?
Well, it sounds like you have either a bad pickup coil, or a bad wire or connection between the magneto and that first connector.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Range Rover

[QUOTE=Kenm;2852153]
Originally Posted by AdirondackGal

Well, it sounds like you have either a bad pickup coil, or a bad wire or connection between the magneto and that first connector.
Something definitely is messed up in that area. Now, the question is, will Ricks in NH honor their 1 year warranty, and does it cover the pickup coil? He may just honor his work rewinding the stator. However, you cannot replace just the pickup. It has to be a stator and pickup as a unit, from what I am understanding. Then, will the dealer do the work w/o charge as he promised if the stator is the problem?

I think I'll call Ricks when I get a chance tomorrow, and see what they have to say about this.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks so much for all the hard work you put into this troubleshooting. With your help, we have found this gremlin. Now it's just a matter of getting it taken care of.

Thanks again Ken..... you ROCK!!!!!!!
Jackie

Old 10-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Range Rover

[quote=AdirondackGal;2852158]
Originally Posted by Kenm

Something definitely is messed up in that area. Now, the question is, will Ricks in NH honor their 1 year warranty, and does it cover the pickup coil? He may just honor his work rewinding the stator. However, you cannot replace just the pickup. It has to be a stator and pickup as a unit, from what I am understanding. Then, will the dealer do the work w/o charge as he promised if the stator is the problem?

I think I'll call Ricks when I get a chance tomorrow, and see what they have to say about this.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks so much for all the hard work you put into this troubleshooting. With your help, we have found this gremlin. Now it's just a matter of getting it taken care of.

Thanks again Ken..... you ROCK!!!!!!!
Jackie
Glad I could help! Good luck and keep us posted

Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Range Rover

I was feeling adventurous today:

Left crankcase:
Name:  Leftcrankcoveroff.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  61.5 KB

Rotor:
Name:  rotor.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  54.0 KB

Stator out of the cover:

Pickup coil:
Name:  pickup.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  13.6 KB

I don't know if you can see it, but the contact on the pickup coil is worn on the bottom edge, as if it hadn't been mounted properly.

I contacted Rick's Motosport Electrics and explained my problem. They will take a look at the stator and repair it if necessary. They seem like nice people. I'll let you know how I make out with this.

The book said you had to remove the engine to remove the stator. That is why I took the bike to the dealer in the beginning. But, guess what? The book lied! YOu can get the left crankcase cover off w/o removing the motor! You just have to remove part of the frame. It just takes patience!

I'm STILL waiting for my GREEN book!

Jackie (trying to get the crud out from under her fingernails!) UGH!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Range Rover

Who are you, wonder woman??????????

Excellent Job!

Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Whats the latest?

Old 10-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by bashr52
Whats the latest?
I'm waiting to hear from Rick's Motorsport Electrics, in NH. I would think they will get the stator today, possibly tomorrow. I asked the girl in the office to let me know what the status of the stator is as soon as they know something.

As soon as I know something I will post it here :-)

And.... I am STILL waiting for my GREEN book! The seller sent it via media mail on the 26th of September! GEEEEEEEEEZUM!

Thanks for asking :-)
Jackie

Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by AdirondackGal
I'm waiting to hear from Rick's Motorsport Electrics, in NH. I would think they will get the stator today, possibly tomorrow. I asked the girl in the office to let me know what the status of the stator is as soon as they know something.

I just got off the phone w/ the guy from Rick's in NH. He said they could NOT find anything wrong with the stator. They tried every possible test and it passed them all. DAMN! I was hoping it was messed up! Now what????

Could I be having a problem with the rotor? Does anyone know how to test that? I can't help but wonder if, over time, the magnets could lose their magnetism. I, of course, put a screw driver near them, and there was magnetism, but was it enough?

I'm totally at a loss......................
anyone???????

Jackie

Old 10-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Did you describe the problem to him and get his take on things?

Old 10-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Range Rover

Yes, I described the problem to him. The only thing he asked was if the CDI was replaced. I told him that the dealer told me they swapped the CDI with a known good one when the bike wouldn't start, and it made no difference. He said the problem does sound like something a CDI would be responsible for.

Now, hindsight is telling me that if North End Repair lied about so many things, perhaps they lied about this too????? Now I know why they call them "stealerships," cause they STEAL your money!

I totally trust the guys at Ricks Motorsport Electrics in NH. They stand behind their work, and go that extra mile to help.

Jackie

Quick Reply: 1988 Suzuki LT-4WD No Spark!!!!!