Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009 | 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

PoolSean--
When you did the first carb tear-down/cleaning, did you remove the CV slider and main needle?
As you found crud in the jets at that time, it is likely that there is crud stuck to the needle, and therefore blocking fuel flow.
While you have everything apart, suggest that you move the e-clip on the needle one groove from the Suzuki setting. When you change the e-clip position, insert it in a groove that will RAISE the needle off the jet. Raising the needle will richen the mixture, and you will have both more power and smoother/quicker acceleration.
As you have probably already figured out, I'm a big fan of Dynojet. Their kits come with a new needle, multiple jets, and a toll free tech line of helpful customer service reps.
Even if you don't purchase a DynoJet kit, follow their procedure on the idle mixture setting--remove the plastic plug over the mixture screw, turn the mixture screw clockwise until it just seats, then back it out 2 1/2 turns. The quad will start quicker and idle smoother after completing this procedure.
Let us know how it works out.

Old 07-14-2009 | 10:08 PM
|
Trailblazer

KQ,

All I did was take the bottom bowl off and removed the two jets that you can access from the bottom. I took the float off and cleaned it and the bottom cover with blast away. I used a needle to unclog the jets until I can shoot a stream of blast away through the jet. I didn't do anymore than that and I do agree that it's probably still clogged to H-E-double-L.

How do you get the choke cable off the carb? I'm able to get the rest of the hoses off. While I'm at that point, does it help to put an inline filter in the gas line (between petcock and carb)?

For a stock motor, what size DYNOjet do you recommend?

Old 07-15-2009 | 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

There is a housing that holds the choke cable to the carb body. Just CAREFULLY unscrew the housing--there are parts under the housing, and you don't want to lose them are not know what order they must be re-installed.
Dynajet kits come with multiple jets and a new needle. I'm not certain that a non-Dynajet needle will work on the stock jet, so if you don't want to purchase the Dyndajet kit, just get a new jet from your dealer that is one size larger (richer) than stock .
You'll still want to raise the needle one grove.
There is a fuel filter built into the petcock assembly, but if you want to insert an in-line filter too, there is no harm. I used to do that on all my toys; now I don't bother.

Old 07-15-2009 | 10:10 PM
Range Rover

Put choke lever on between 1/2 and 3/4 position. This will take some of the spring tention off. I did not the first time and almost stripped the last two treads from plastic nut. I just use pliers (flat nose) to remove/install the choke cable nut. If your careful you can pull out the carb with choke cable attached (I have several times and install the cable before installing the carb).

I put the inline fuel filter in mine and also a air filter in the line that goes above the air box. Several people have got dirt/seeds into there carb from this vent line also. But you can do these after you get it running good.

Make sure you also remove the mixture screw and clean the ports out also.
(I forget if you have done this.... But I would drain all of the gas out of tank and put in new.) Has it not be running for a long time? I know mine does not run right with the airbox lid off becase if it be jetted lean (I did not rejet) but if I just adjust (richer) the mixture screw it would run with airbox lid off. I would get it running good before rejeting so you know you got your current problem fix and not a new jetting problem. Just one set at a time.

KQ stated to Rise the main jet neddle one clip. The stock neddles do not have any way to adjust them, no clips (some people put a washer under neddle head to raise it.) The DYNOjet kit has a neddle that can be adjusted.

Old 07-16-2009 | 12:57 AM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks Scott.
It has new gas in the tank. I won't have time to take the carb apart until maybe friday night, but no work on the Eiger until next weekend. that should give the carb a good amount of time to soak.
I have to take down a tree at my moms house before any Hurricane threaten South Florida, and that's an all weekend job.
Then I'm off to Indy until Wednesday.

There's never enough hours in a day...and never enough days in a weekend!

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Old 07-16-2009 | 07:49 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here how yoy clean a carb, its a slide carb but your CV carb has the some bottom end with jets and choke plunger system which is all that matters when cleaning.

Disassembly and Cleaning of a Mikuni Round slide Carburetor

Old 07-16-2009 | 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Scott267839
I would get it running good before rejeting so you know you got your current problem fix and not a new jetting problem. Just one set at a time.

KQ stated to Rise the main jet neddle one clip. The stock neddles do not have any way to adjust them, no clips (some people put a washer under neddle head to raise it.) The DYNOjet kit has a neddle that can be adjusted.
Good catch--forgot that the stock needle does not have groves.

Poolsean-use a very thin washer to raise the stock needle up, as it does not take much to alter the mixture significantly.

Scott2678xx is right. It might be best to just get the carb cleaned out and the quad running normally before you change the jet.

Old 07-17-2009 | 12:18 AM
|
Trailblazer

I will. You guys are awesome. Thanks again for your help.