Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Top end not getting oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Top end not getting oil

Can anyone tell me how a Suzuki 87/98 250 cc. quadrunner ATV pumps oil to the valve head please?. My camshaft seized and snapped off for lack of oil after I cleaned it up and unplugged a oilpassage in it. It was not oiling before that and I could hear a squealing sound and the motor wasn't running well so I unscrewed the inspection plug to the valve and squirted oil onto the cam while it was running and it smoothened out immediately , so after doing the inspection and unplugging the oil passage It died on me while I was Moose hunting. That's when I descovered the broken cam shaft.The only method for getting oil up there is by the timing chain rotation ?????.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider

your oil pump actually is in the tranny and crank driven. it squirts up through the head around one of your four engine studs.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. I checked the screen filter in the bottom of the engine and it was completly blocked with dirt so as soon as I receive the camshaft I should be all set .Again thanks very much Sir.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Make sure that you thoroughly inspect all of your rockers, shafts, Bearings(or bores). Also take a good look at the cam chain. It has been through a lot trying to spin a dry cam. If it is stiff or kinks at all, put a new one in. They are more difficult than just the cam because you have to get it off of the sprocket on the crankshaft, but it's worth it. I own a shop and will be happy to help any way I can. Thanks

Old 11-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by motosource.com
Make sure that you thoroughly inspect all of your rockers, shafts, Bearings(or bores). Also take a good look at the cam chain. It has been through a lot trying to spin a dry cam. If it is stiff or kinks at all, put a new one in. They are more difficult than just the cam because you have to get it off of the sprocket on the crankshaft, but it's worth it. I own a shop and will be happy to help any way I can. Thanks
Thanks for your time and info, I definately will follow your advise.