Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Painting Tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Tips

So I recently traded for an 87 LT230E. I got a heck of a deal. I traded an old toshiba laptop I had lying around for a fully assembled bike (with no brakes), a spare frame, two front sets of tires and rims, a spare rear set of rims and tires, two motors in pieces and two sets of plastics (beat up and broken).

Now back to the topic. The fully assembled bike was running fine up until ab out two weeks ago. My friend let me borrow it to go riding with our friends while he was working on his truck. We got back to his place and the clutches were gone. So we tore into it later then next week and replaced the clutches. The only problem is that we used RTV instead of a solid gasket and it leaks, and the head leaks due to the fact that he put a new piston, rings and head on but no gasket. I've got a friend who works at a dealership ordering the gaskets for me. So I decided that while I wait I was going to strip the spare frame down, sand off the rust, and build the bike from the ground up.

My question pertains to the spare frame. I have already started sanding it and cleaning it for paint. I was just going to use black rattle cans and a laquer clear coat to paint it black. Will that work ok or will it all flake off quick?

TIA for any help.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the frame is prepared correctly & you are using automotive products then you are on the right track. I added a black automotive underseal / sealant like a tar base that sets hard & gives extra protection for the hard knocks. Best of luck with your project.