Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2005 Eiger not starting

Old 05-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Eiger not starting

Hello everyone...I need help!
I was out a few weeks ago and was running my Eiger through some watering holes. The second time through, I stalled out in the middle. Was able to get it going and ran around some more. Then, playing follow the leader with my bro-in-law, he had me stuck in a deep hole and I stalled out again. I didn't think I got water into the carb, but who knows.

I drained and refilled the oil. Removed and cleaned out the carb....
What else do I need to do?

First time in this predicament....

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

Have you been able to start it again? If that vent tube on the top of the carb does not run uphill, in deeper water it will get blocked and stall out the engine.

When you say you cleaned out the carb, how? I make sure I take every jet out and spray cleaner through every hole until I can see it come out the other end. Do you have spark? Is fuel getting to the carb? Make sure the vacuum line is hooked up to the petcock. It's on the back side, so it's easy to forget to hook it up. The only time fuel should run freely out of the petcock is if it is in "prime" position. Otherwise, it needs the motor to be turned over for fuel to come out.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Ron, thanks for responding.
I tried last weekend and was unsuccessful. I've removed the jets and cleaned with parts cleaner and was able to spray the cleaner through the jets. Sprayed through all the carb orifaces too.
Checked the plug and get a strong spark.
Put everything back together and it doesn't seem like gas is getting from the carb to the motor... ???
The carb float bowl is filling with gas and engine is turning over but not starting, or even sound like it's about to start! GGGrrrrrrrrr.......

I drained the oil and there wasn't any signs of water there. Compression is good. Could it be possible for water to be in the upper cylinder head and not letting it ignite? TUrning it over with the plug removed seems like the cylinder head is dry...in otherwords, nothing blowing out the plug hole...not even gas.

Any other suggestions?

Old 05-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmmmmm. Ya got spark, fuel, and compression and nothing, huh? Have you tried spraying starter fluid into the carb to see if it wants to fire? I you can get it to fire doing that, then you likely have a fuel delivery problem.

Did you get water above the seat when you stalled out? I really doubt you have water in the cylinder. Maybe the plug is fouled. What does that look like?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Range Rover

check exhaust, make sure it is not full of water--pluging it up. I would also try the starting fluid. Is your spark plug wet/fuel smell? If spraying starting fluid into cab intake does not work try a little into cylinder. (remove spark plug, spray, replace plug, and try to start --- not a lot of starting fluid.)

Old 05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Scott267839
check exhaust, make sure it is not full of water--pluging it up. I would also try the starting fluid. Is your spark plug wet/fuel smell? If spraying starting fluid into cab intake does not work try a little into cylinder. (remove spark plug, spray, replace plug, and try to start --- not a lot of starting fluid.)
Didn't think about the exhaust, but that could be an issue. When you crank it does anything come out the exhaust?

Also, right on about the starting fluid. A little goes a long way.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer

Haven't looked at the exhaust while trying to start. Wouldn't it sound like water gurgling? Or after two weeks, wouldn't it have dried up? I'll check it this weekend though.
Because of the weird "z" shape of the rubber piece between the air filter and the carb, I have not had a good shot of starter fluid into the carb. I'll try removing this piece off the carb and spraying into the carb. I tried gas directly into the plug hole with no success. If I'm getting a good spark across the plug, should it need to be replaced anyway? What is the best plug recommendation?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure it's something simple...fingers crossed

Old 05-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

With the air filter off, the suction from the motor being turned over should be enough to draw the fluid vapors into the carb.

Any updates?

Old 05-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by poolsean
If I'm getting a good spark across the plug, should it need to be replaced anyway?
It wouldn't hurt and it's cheap. While a spark plug may be sparking when grounded outside of the cylinder, when it is in the cylinder the spark plug may not be grounding.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:17 AM
Trailblazer

Also check the fuel tap. Some have stopped working with the vacuum operation. Could be the diaphramjams.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Eiger not starting