Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

what to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to buy?

right now i own a parie 400.its kinda old so i want a new quad.im looking at the 400cc class and 350 cc class,
i really like the suzuki king quad 400 and the yamaha grizzly 350.i narrowed it down to those two. the yamaha will be th 4x4 but not the diff lock.
i ride hard trails that a 2 wheel drive quad will not make some times.
what i like about the kq 400 are the looks the power and low range
what i dont like about are the drum brakes and no irs.but i will live.hahaha

what i like about the grizz 350 are the power the looks smaller size
what i dont like are the drum brakes and non irs but they make it for more money. any ideas????...thanks-brandon

Old 07-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer

can anyone help me????

Old 07-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

have you looked into polaris they have a mid size sportsman 400 h.o?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

I just sold an 04 Kodiak 400 (basically the older version of the Grizzly) and bought an 08 King Quad 400. What I didn't like about the Kodiak was the lack of power and the amount of power loss when climbing. It never ran out of power but never felt like there was much left. I have only had the King Quad out once (about 75 miles trail riding) and it was night and day different. The King Quad has considerably more power and throttle response (I know some of this is because the Kodiak was older and ridden much more). I never felt like I was about out of power when climbing the same hills I climbed on the Kodiak. The King Quad also sits a little higher than the Kodiak which makes it a little more tippy. I am not sure what the new Grizzly has, but my Kodiak only had one shock on the rear swing arm and King Quad has 2 which makes a more comfortable and sporty ride. I did greatly prefer the 2wd/4wd switch on the Kodiak. It was a button where the KQ you have to flip a lever. Not a big deal, but just my preference. Quad Magazine (when they existed) did a mid size shootout looking at the best quad for under $6000. I don't have a copy of the issue anymore, but recall their comment on the Grizzly 350. They said it was great all around but lacked power so much that it couldn't overcome the other perks. I used to ride a Yamaha and everybody I ride with still rides Yamahas. When I was looking I was looking for a Grizzly but wasn't considering the 350. Yamaha also makes a 450 that has the perks of the midsize frame but has a little more power. I was happy with my Kodiak but have been very pleasantly surprised with the KQ.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

ok thanks.ill see if i can test drive them at the dealer.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:50 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

what i like about the grizz 350 are the power the looks smaller size
The Grizz 350 and KQ both have a mid size chassis,it's the KQ 450 that has a full size chassis like the KQ750. The 400 (376cc) is just the Eiger with a changed name. The Eiger/KQ has more power then the 348cc Grizzly and top end.

The 450 Grizzly also is not a full sizes Utility,like the 450 KQ is.