Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

I have a squeaking noise on my right side

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a squeaking noise on my right side

On my front right front wheel area, I have a squeaking noise when I turn right, it don't do it all the time, just when I turn hard right. The left side doesn't do it, just the right. Not a constant noise, just a squeak. Do I need to take the boot off and ppack with grease, and how do I need to do that? DO I take off the tire, or can I take off the clamps and do it from the outside?

Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Trailblazer

It sounds like you have a bad bearing in the right side, you will problaby NOT be able to fix it yourself as the bears are pressed in. The Spindle will have to be removed(not to hard to do)and take it with a new set of bearings to a shop and have them replace the bearings.....the cheapest way to go.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

You could replace them yourself, if you have the right tools. There are videos on youtube on how to change your wheel bearings. Instead of me trying to tell you about how to change them.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

May be a wear bar on the brake pad.. that can cause a squeak under certain conditions.
The bearing as it goes will begin to howl all the time when the grease works its way out.
Keep an eye on the boot if you see bluish black grease you know it is fresh. (problem then is a cracked boot so this is not the best method)
Also the boot itself can fill with grease and then pop.

if the noise happens a bunch duplicate the condition and have a mechanic listen to it.
A bad bearing is a bad bearing and it will make a common easily recognized noise to a trained ear.
That said I would have to think that since it is the same principal just smaller an auto mechanic could listen and tell if the bearing is the issues.

Hopes this helps.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by King Quad
May be a wear bar on the brake pad.. that can cause a squeak under certain conditions.
The bearing as it goes will begin to howl all the time when the grease works its way out.
Keep an eye on the boot if you see bluish black grease you know it is fresh. (problem then is a cracked boot so this is not the best method)
Also the boot itself can fill with grease and then pop.

if the noise happens a bunch duplicate the condition and have a mechanic listen to it.
A bad bearing is a bad bearing and it will make a common easily recognized noise to a trained ear.
That said I would have to think that since it is the same principal just smaller an auto mechanic could listen and tell if the bearing is the issues.

Hopes this helps.
If it is/was boot damage then a squeak would mean there is no grease left in the bearings and that would be really bad. If all your dust boots are in place then it may be grit in your brake pads or in the hubs, do like I do fire up the air compresser and use air to blow all the sand out of the wheel hubs from time to time to reduce the wear and tear on the brakes and bearings. Also if your doing lots of mudding and water crossing water will get into the bearsing and that is also bad news.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

Sandhog is right if the boot is full that means the bearing is shot. (and would most likely be screaming at you)
I like the air compressor idea 1st.

The hub or wheel bearing if it is the issue will only get worse with time as the grease works it's way out of the pressed bearing.
The noise will then become a constant.

Good luck.