Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Decompression Cable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decompression Cable?

So I bought an 87 quadsport for a summer project, kinda late, I know. Everything looks good on it except it blows blue smoke like CRAZY! Also its missing the decompression lever. So I bought a lever and I can't figure out how the cable works? Can someone please tell me how it hooks up and any tips? I have it attached to both ends, but is there something I am missing. When I pull the lever it won't come back, the lever is not threaded and neither is the lever on the engine. Yet the cable has a 90 degree metal kink with threads on the end. Someone set me straight please!

Old 08-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Its not supposed to come back until you kick over the engine. Pull it in all the way, then let the lever go, it shouldn't come back. Then kick start the quad. It should be alot easier to kick over now. Then if you look back at the lever, it should be back into its original position. The decompression lever cable attaches to the top of the cylinder head on the right side.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quadmechanic
So I bought an 87 quadsport for a summer project, kinda late, I know. Everything looks good on it except it blows blue smoke like CRAZY! Also its missing the decompression lever. So I bought a lever and I can't figure out how the cable works? Can someone please tell me how it hooks up and any tips? I have it attached to both ends, but is there something I am missing. When I pull the lever it won't come back, the lever is not threaded and neither is the lever on the engine. Yet the cable has a 90 degree metal kink with threads on the end. Someone set me straight please!
i'll post some pics tomorrow of how its supposed to look like. i dont use mine and i have around 231 psi compression.

and as for the blue smoke. could be rings or you need to get it bored out or valve seals. most likely valve seals.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by tomgodair
Its not supposed to come back until you kick over the engine. Pull it in all the way, then let the lever go, it shouldn't come back. Then kick start the quad. It should be alot easier to kick over now. Then if you look back at the lever, it should be back into its original position. The decompression lever cable attaches to the top of the cylinder head on the right side.
ohhhhh, ok, I got it now, the motor pulls it back! I thought it was like the clutch where it springs back. Thanks!