Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1986 lt230 Kick start lever. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 lt230 Kick start lever. Help!

So I've had this Suzuki for about a year now, its mostly been sitting in a shed but I've rode it a few times. Well one of my friends came over and we were going to take it out for a ride. when I tried to kick start it the lever stopped mid way down. I didn't do anything differently from the other times I've started it but it wont go down. I've searched all over the internet and this is what seems to be happening to mine:

Does anyone have any ideas before I start taking this thing apart? A fast response is appreciated.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

Me thinks you're going to have to take it apart. Try putting it in gear and rolling it backwards first, may free up something bound.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Already tried that, it just skids across the ground.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by nate590
Already tried that, it just skids across the ground.
Did you try taking the spark plug out and in 5th gear and rolling it back and forth? If that doesn't work then it has to come apart.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Burnpile230s
Did you try taking the spark plug out and in 5th gear and rolling it back and forth? If that doesn't work then it has to come apart.
No I havent I'll try it when I have some free time.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

We tried that, still nothing. We also took the side off where the kickstart lever is and nothing seems to be wrong with the gears. Do I need to take it apart further? Im not really expierienced enough to do this and got two offers of $100 for it, is that a decent price for it?

Old 12-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

We tried that, still nothing. We also took the side off where the kickstart lever is and nothing seems to be wrong with the gears. Do I need to take it apart further? Im not really expierienced enough to do this and got two offers of $100 for it, is that a decent priced for it?
If you aren't able to fix it, then yeah sell it for what you can get for it. I don't know what shape it is in but that's still up to you. Even if it was running its only worth a few hundred unless it's like really sweet. I just got a real nice '03 Honda 250ex for $450 so...deals are out there just be patient. How long has it been sitting? It may be the rings are rusted to the cylinder. Clutch works? Gears all work? Timing chain not broken? It was running when you put it in the shed right? Sounds like a stuck piston to me. Take the left cover off so you can get a wrench on the crank. Spray some PB Blaster into the spark plug hole and let it sit over night. Then try to "bump" the crank by tapping the wrench with a hammer.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you aren't able to fix it, then yeah sell it for what you can get for it. I don't know what shape it is in but that's still up to you. Even if it was running its only worth a few hundred unless it's like really sweet. I just got a real nice '03 Honda 250ex for $450 so...deals are out there just be patient. How long has it been sitting? It may be the rings are rusted to the cylinder. Clutch works? Gears all work? Timing chain not broken? It was running when you put it in the shed right? Sounds like a stuck piston to me. Take the left cover off so you can get a wrench on the crank. Spray some PB Blaster into the spark plug hole and let it sit over night. Then try to "bump" the crank by tapping the wrench with a hammer.
The thing was only sitting for about two weeks everything was fine with it accept for it not idling correctly when I put it in their but it always had that problem. Ive also tried pb blaster into the sparkplug hole but it did nothing. I guess im going to take it apart a bit before I decide to sell it or not.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I tried that a second time and it seemed to work. Thanks for the help!

Old 12-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

I tried that a second time and it seemed to work. Thanks for the help!
So you got it to work without having to tear it down? Awesome! Glad it worked.

Quick Reply: 1986 lt230 Kick start lever. Help!