Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1987 Suzuki lt 125 transmission mystery.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Suzuki lt 125 transmission mystery.

So i got quite the situation on my hands, i know nothing about transmissions at all, kinda learning as i tear er down, but there is this once piece that is baffling me, it is called a stopper cam, and judging by this diagram: 1987 Suzuki LT125 GEAR SHIFTING | MRCycles

it looks like it is supposed to be attached by a spring to somewhere else, but when i opened the case there was not a spring in sight and the stopper cam was just sitting there loosely on the shaft, i can also shift through all the gears just find and into reverse with no problems, so what is the point of this piece in the transmission?

I attached a picture of my case and hopefully it is clear nad you can see it just sitting there doing nothing. Would really appreciate someone giving me and advice or insight to this mystery, thank you!

Attached Thumbnails 1987 Suzuki lt 125 transmission mystery.-img_0060-1-.jpg  
Old 04-02-2016, 06:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been a few years since i was inside my 83 125 but as i recall the stopper cam prevents the shift drum from rolling too far at gear changes or prevents shifting to reverse unless in neutral does the roller on it line up to a "star" wheel on the shift drum?

Old 04-02-2016, 08:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like the stop pin that holds the spring may have sheared off.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Dammar
been a few years since i was inside my 83 125 but as i recall the stopper cam prevents the shift drum from rolling too far at gear changes or prevents shifting to reverse unless in neutral does the roller on it line up to a "star" wheel on the shift drum?
It looks like it can but I don't seen anywhere it would attach by a spring or anything, it's just resting on the rod, and it won't let me shift into reverse unless in neutral so I don't think that has anything to do with it, the transmission worked fine when the machine was running horribly last summer engine wise but the transmission moved perfectly, so do I just leave it there? I don't know anyone I can show or ask about it cause I'm really the only one in my family that is into this stuff so I gotta self teach.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Looks like the stop pin that holds the spring may have sheared off.
That must have happened before I got the machine because there isn't a trace of a spring in the case, not even metal fragments, the transmission is working fine and did so last summer when I had it running for a bit, not sure if I should just ignore it and leave it? I'm sure finding parts for the transmission would be a pain and expensive.