Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Bringing a KQ 300 back to life

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing a KQ 300 back to life

I guess I'll give an introduction with my question.

I was a member here many many years ago. I've had several quads, Polaris, Honda, and of course a KQ 300 that I bought new in about 2001. I actually bought it for my kids to ride because I felt it was safer with the small engine, gear ranges and locking diff. I rode my Sportsman and Scrambler with them but was impressed with the KQ' s abilities. I went from 4 wheels to 2 for a lot of years and I'm still on 2 but miss the 4. I found an old 300 for next to nothing that needs a lot of work and I love monkeying with stuff so I'm picking it up in the morning.

Here is what I know. He thinks it's a 95, it will start but won't stay running, needs an ignition switch, headlights don't work. The electrical stuff is easy. I'll get a lawn mower ignition and make it work. It has a broken rear axle so I'm assuming it needs wheel bearings.

I'm going to get this thing home and start going through it. If anybody has any experience in bringing one of these things back from the dead and tell me what to look for I'd appreciate your help. A list of parts like oil filter number, spark plug, oil specs etc. Valve adjustment and compression specs ?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hanging out here again.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:28 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Dave G. Welcome back to the ATV Connection. I'll bet a lot of folks have come and gone during your sabbatical. I was reading a Cycle World magazine at the doctor's office the other day and was wondering if my ATV was the wrong direction to go. The cost new is about the same. My ATV sits in the garage, but on a nice spring day like today I could be riding a motorcycle. I'm a big advocate of street legal ATV laws on secondary roads posted 45mph or less. I would have many, many more hours on my machine if it were legal to go out sightseeing here in the Rocky Mountain foothills. I have a Can Am Outlander with street legal equipment on it.

Congratulations on your new "project". I believe I would enjoy bringing one of these "shunned" vintage machines "back to life" as you say it. I see some interesting ATVs parked behind neighborhood garages or barns just reverting back to iron ore. I like messing with mechanical things too.

Hey, you ought to start a "renovation" project thread in the King Quad brand forum and describe your trials and tribulations as you go forward with your project. It might take a couple of years, who knows. I think folks like me would enjoy seeing how you approached problems and made this old machine like new again. I would subscribe to such a thread.

David

Old 05-07-2017, 06:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oddly enough I also recently found a King Quad 300 that was totally teenagered-up.

Uses 3-4 quarts depending on how much oil is left in the case of Motorcycle 10w40 for wet clutches

Bosch XR4CS plug
Volar oil filter 3xOF-132-ae-29

My issue is repairing all the wiring. I have so many loose bullet connectors in one spot I assume something must be missing? Anybody know where the wires in the picture to follow go?

Old 05-07-2017, 07:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Electrical that is not connected:

Green, female bullet
Blue w/ white stripe, female bullet
White w/ black stripe, male bullet
Black w/ white stripe, female bullet
Black w/ yellow stripe, male bullet
Smaller gauge black wire, broke off end, seems to be hot
Plug with orange and grey wires

Old 05-07-2017, 08:03 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello chainsawr and welcome to the ATV Connection. You and Dave can work together bringing these two vintage ATVs back to reliable trail riding.

You have quite a project on your hands. An item that has been "teenagered up" is the worse! It probably has stickers all over the bodywork too. At least someone may have learned a little mechanics before they abandoned the machine.

Keep us posted on your KQ 300 rebuilds. Sounds like fun.

David