Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT500 rear caliper rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 12:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever rebuilt the rear caliper of a 1987 LT500? My rear brakes quit working for "no apparent reason". I bled them and they worked for about 2 hours. They quit working so I bled them again. I got home and took the caliper off. The fluid that came out was black. This shows that I am not only NOT the poster child for brake fluid maintenance, but that there could be a problem.

The manual says to "Push out the piston" with your finger. Mine looks all rusty and won't budge. I have it soaking with WD40. My question to the forum is this: Has anyone had success rebuilding these? As soon the piston is free in mine I am going to order all the seals, but am wondering if I should just order a new caliper instead.

Amendment #1 I did check for any air leaks in the system and found none to be apparent.

Amendment #2 I have never changed the brake fluid before and am using the stock brake line (which is now 14 years old).

Thanks to anyone has some input.

Old 04-23-2001, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

You'll probably have to replace the piston as well if it's all rusty. Pits in it will allow fluid to get out and more dirt to get in. Be sure to get a brake cylinder honing tool to clean it up. A little wet sandpaper will work just as good. As with most all the parts on these things it's still probably cheaper to rebuild than buy new.
Changing the brake fluid is a good thing to do from time to time but also cleaning up the crud from around the moving parts will help things last longer, too. a little PM goes a long way on just about everything.

On my brother-in-laws 86 230 the brakes just started having problems. I added some fluid to the fronts and they started working fine. The rear needs some more work.

Good Luck,
Rob

Old 04-24-2001, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

TO GET YOUR PISTON OUT REMOVE THE E-BRAKE COVER FROM THE CALIPER (OR BLOCK OFF PLATE) THERE WILL BE A ROD STICKING OUT FROM THE SIDE. THIS IS PART OF THE PIST AND YOU CAN TAP IT TO REMOVE THE PISTON. THEIR ARE 2 SEALS INSIDE THAT YOU WILL NEED TO REPLACE AND YOU WILL NEED TO REPLACE THE PISTON IF IT IS RUSTY OR PITED. DON'T WASTE TIME TRYING TO SAVE IT BECAUSE IF IT DOES SEAL THEN YOU ARE BACK TO THE BEGINNING. CALL NATIONAL PARTS DEPOT 1-888-780-8544 AND TELL THEM PENNZILLA (RON) FROM THE QUADZILLATHON WEB SITE TOLD YOU TO CALL AND ASK FOR SHAWN. THEY WILL HOOK YOU UP WITH THE SEALS AND THE PISTON. AS FOR YOUR BRAKE LINE, YOU SHOULD REPLACE IT, THE BEST THING THERE IS TO GET A STEEL BRAIDED LINE ABOUT 50 BUCKS. IT WON'T FLEX LIKE THE STOCK RUBBER ONE SO YOU WILL GET STRONGER BRAKING. YOU CAN GET ONE OF THOSE THROUGH NAC'S OR CT RACING YOU CAN ASK SHAWN AT THE DEPOT IF THEY CARRY THEM BUT I AM NOT SURE. WHILE YOU ARE AT IT, IT MIGHT BE TIME TO DRAIN DOWN AND INSPECT THE FRONT BRAKES TOO. AT LEAST CHANGE THE FLUID WITH A GOOD DOT 4 FLUID. THE FRONTS COME APART A LITTLE DIFFERENT AND IF YOU WANT TO REMOVE THOSE PISTONS FOR INSPECT ONCE YOU REMOVE THE PADS YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO JUST GRAB IT AND PULL IT STRAIGHT OUT. I TAKE AN AIR NOZZLE (THE KIND WITH A TRIGGER YOU USE FOR BLOWING OUT DIRT) WITH A RUBBER TIP AND PUSH IT INTO THE BRAKE LINE HOLD AND IT BLOWS THE PISTON OUT (FAST) WATCH WHERE YOU POINT IT, USE A TOWEL OVER TOP TO KEEP IT FROM FLY OUT. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Old 04-25-2001, 10:52 AM
Range Rover

Pennzilla and robb

Thanks for your posts. I have already redone the front with steel braided brake lines and was immediately impressed with the feel of the brakes. I will be upgrading to stainless in the rear.

I unfortunately do not have any news about the caliper. I've been busy mowing the lawn and other stuff and haven't been able to work on it.

Pennzilla I've been riding for a long time and made it to the dunes for the first time in November. I went again last month (both times to Glamis) and am now addicted. Quadzillathon looks awesome and I am interested in going. However I am not big into drag racing. I like to jump and go fast more than anyting. Would I have fun at Quadzillathon?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 04-25-2001, 11:33 PM
Range Rover

YEAH I HEAR YA ON THE OUTDOOR WORK I HAVE BEEN WORKING IT MYSELF SPENT ALL DAY ON MY SKID STEER. AS FOR THE ZILLATHON IT IS JUST AN EVENT FOR EVERYONE TO GET TOGETHER AND ADMIRE AND ENJOY EACH OTHERS RIDES. I WENT LAST YEAR AND DIDN'T DO THE DRAG RACE AND I HAD A BLAST WATCHING EVERYONE RUN. PLUS I WON ABOUT 700 BUCKS WORTH OF PRIZES IN THE RAFFLE AND FOR DRIVING THE FARTHEST. IT WAS OUR FIRST TRIP TO THE SAND AND I AM ADDICTED AS WELL. THAT IS WHY I GOT INVOLVED WITH IT AND HELP PROMOTE IT AND SET UP TRANSPORT FOR THE EAST COAST GUYS (GIRLS TOO!!!!!!). I NOW TAKE MY ZILLA AND THE 400EX OUT TO CALI IN OCT AND BRING THEM BACK IN FEB, AND I LEASED A HOUSE OUT THERE TO STAY IN. THE EVENT IS OPEN TO EVERYONE AND ALL MACHINES, MY BUDDIES LAST YEAR TOKE THEIR WARRIORS AND THEY WON STUFF IN THE RAFFLE AND GOT A TON OF TEE SHIRTS. WE ALL HAD A BLAST. THE MAIN REASON WE CALL IT THE QUADZILLATHON IS BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT THEM TO BE FORGOTTEN SINCE THEY ARE SO RARE. YOU SHOULD GO IT IS A BLAST.