Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT-F500F spin on oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well gang I have done a little homework and checked at a local parts house where I have good frinds and the out come is..... a WIX Oil Filter #51359 is a direct replacement for the SUZUKI part #16510-34E00.It has the "Anti-Drain Back Valve" necessary because of the way SUZUKI has placed the filter on the engine (up side down), and best of all.....Only $6.85 vers $12.50 that the dealer is asking . I use Castrol 10w40 in my 500, what do you use ???

Old 12-29-2001, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Let me warn everyone about auto oil filter's vs. atv filter's. quads do not have the same type of oil pump as auto's, meaning auto's have higher oil pressure and alot more VOLUME because the motor's are so much bigger, the auto filter's are made with alot more media and material's so when you put one on an atv, the atv oil pump doesn't pump as high of pressure or volume and the auto filter's starve your top end for oil, this hurt's over time not immediately so you won't know until you have to rebuild, the atv filter's are designed for the oiling system's on atv's and motorcycle's, I'm just trying to save people some expensive repair's sooner than they should be doing them.

Old 12-29-2001, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

<< Let me warn everyone about auto oil filter's vs. atv filter's. quads do not have the same type of oil pump as auto's, meaning auto's have higher oil pressure and alot more VOLUME because the motor's are so much bigger, the auto filter's are made with alot more media and material's so when you put one on an atv, the atv oil pump doesn't pump as high of pressure or volume and the auto filter's starve your top end for oil, this hurt's over time not immediately so you won't know until you have to rebuild, the atv filter's are designed for the oiling system's on atv's and motorcycle's, I'm just trying to save people some expensive repair's sooner than they should be doing them. >>

STAKK : Thanks for your reply but you are assuming that the &quot;Direct Replacement&quot; WIX filter that I had referenced was an automotive oil filter that could... possably.. warrant your concern and &quot;warning&quot; about &quot;trying to save people some expensive repair's &quot; by using an automotive oil filter. The WIX #51359 is a direct replacement for the spin on SUZUKI LFS706 part #16510-34E00 that I use on my LT-F500F and is a motorcycle/ATV oil filter manufactured by WIX one of the premier filter manufactures with whom I am willing to trust their engineering expertise to design a proper filter. The following link may add to additional information about AUTO vers. ATV oil and oil filters http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oilfilter.htm

Old 12-30-2001, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

I didn't know Wix made motorcycle filter's, I do know they are great filter for semi=trucks and heavy equipment. As long as a filter meets or exceed's the OEM flow rate's they are O.K., I just know of a few that don't and they cost more in the long run, Is there a Wix website that's list's their atv/motorcycle filter's?

Old 12-30-2001, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer

i used a SMO 18 motorcycle filter on mine. It sayes motorcycle on it so i assumed it was alright. cost me $5.

Old 12-30-2001, 12:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Fram also has a line of filters for motorcycles and atv's,all the suzuki atvs take the same one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2001, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Fram was one of the brand's I was talking about that does not have the same flow rates as the OEM's and starve your top end, also I've heard many report's of them coming apart on the inside and clogging the oil pump's, I'm not going to chance a Fram, I have seen them apart and they are made cheap.

Old 12-30-2001, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

stakk,
I had no clue that fram was that bad,I alway's thought they were a quality filter,guess I better get the one on my vinson off and get another.We use wix at work on the buses,run dt466's in those and have alway's had good luck with them.Thank's alot for the info!!!

Old 12-31-2001, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

The inside's of Fram's are cheap, the paper is to thick and course, and it makes it to hard for the oil to flow through plus the end's on the inside next to the mouth of the filter are made of cheap cardboard instead of metal, that is what comes apart and clog's things up the glue that hold's the media together is cheap to, stick to the OEM's or a quality like Wix or Purolator, One thing's if you blow an engine that is under warranty and it has a aftermarket filter that has failed you may have trouble getting the warr. to stick, that's why I use tha factory oil's and filter's, They cant blame the filter's and oil that way, It's their brand.