Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

r34, come in please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2000, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding your winch mount again, I just noticed on my quadmaster that when the dealer mounted my Super winch 2000 they used 2" spacers.

Questions:
Did you have to use spacers when you installed your winch?
What kind of winch do you have?
As I recall when you spoke last your winch mount kit installed with no modifications, is this correct?

I am thinking of removing the winch mount kit that is on mine now and going with the one you used. If yours doesn't require spacers and you didn't need to do custom modifications, like cutting a thick medal plate and/or welding.

Refresh my memory would you please regarding your winch mount kit. Any complaints with it?

Thanks,

Dale
NOTE FROM ATVBBS: The admin. has made available to you an e-mail tab. Please use it to send personal questions to specific individuals. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2000, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm mounting a large winch this afternoon (albeit not on a Quadrunner).

The mounting kit contains spacers for moving the bumper forward.

I didn't want to move the bumper forward, fearing compromise of approach angle, and examined "101 ways to make the winch fit without moving the bumper forward."

I called the manufacturer, asking if any downside existed, leaving the bumper in its original position.

Basically, not if the winch fits; however, the mount manufacturer told me they had no complaints regarding loss of approach angle.

So, I'm going with the spacers for now. If I have any problem, look for my subsequent post,

"101 Ways To Make The Winch Fit Without Moving The Bumper Forward"

Tree Farmer

Old 02-19-2000, 03:01 PM
r34
Pro Rider

Hey Dale... How are doing ? To answer to your question, no I did'nt use any spacers or any mods what so ever. It bolted right on, and was very simple. I had to remove the skid plate, attach the mounting kit, and put the skid plate back on again! Nothing to it. I should add, that I own a 00 Quadrunner not the Quadmaster, but I don't think that there's much of a difference.
See pictures [http://briefcase.yahoo.com/r34_ca]

Old 02-19-2000, 03:04 PM
r34
Pro Rider

I have a call through to the Suzuki dealer, I'll let you know this afternoon....Ron

Old 02-19-2000, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer

Tree Farmer, thanks for the input. I like your thinking regarding the 101 ways.

r34, also thanks for the reply. You wouldn't happen to have the part number handy again would you?

I did recall you have the Quadrunner not the Quadmaster. I think the setup is the same though?

I printed your pictures out, that's one sweet mount. Nice Job!

Are you still able to ride at this time of the year?

We just got another foot of snow last night and today. I bought my quad in January and have only 35 miles on it. Damn I hate that. I can't wait till spring when I can ride ride ride.

Old 02-19-2000, 08:37 PM
r34
Pro Rider

Dale.... Just give me til Monday, cause those guys did'nt get back to me today regarding the mount. I'd like to have a solid answer for you.
I have heard that your getting dumped on out there on the East Coast, I did'nt know were exactly where Maine was til I looked at the atlas today, and found out your right below New Brunswick. Even though we have'nt had anywhere near as much snow as you have, I share my feelings entirely, I hate winter, and can't wait til spring. I'll talk to you at the beginning of the week.
Ron..

Old 02-19-2000, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds good, thanks again for your help.

Old 02-20-2000, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer

Tree Farmer, regarding your message, letting the tongue hangout. I believe this would work well except the roller fairlead would then really stick out. With the 2" spacers my fairlead currently sticks out only about 1/2 " beyond the front bumper. If I take the spacers out the fairlead I believe will stick out 2 1/2 " beyond the bumper. I know I won't care for that look.

The real culprit is the mounting plate. If it was 2" shorter I would be set. There is plenty of space behind the bumper for the winch without the spacers.