Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

To air box or not to air box...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if I should get the RM airbox and foam filter from the guy I got my engine from or get a clamp on K&N with an outwear and no box...

Riding conditions vary. It's an all around bike that will see a little mud and puddles... But there's supposed to be a big performance difference...

Of course I could have the best of both worlds by having a box and K&N, but using the RM box would cost (probably $100) and making one out of sheetmetal would be a pain...

Actually, I should really look into the sheetmetal route... I've used it before in school and making something simple like an airbox would be no problem...

Any ideas, comments or experience with the above?

Old 04-05-2002, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

I put a lt500 motor in a lt250. I used the air tube off the 500. Then I took a old winshield washer jug for the air box. I know it sounds hoaky but it actually works good. The air sucks in from the back. I have not tested it in lots of water yet but, it cant be much different than running with no lid. You should see how easy this is to remove. I was going to build a airbox too. Now I think I will just perfect this design. I do know a guy that runs a open element all the time. Through water and everything. He has never had problems. He uses a K&N with a outerware. I`m not sure why I dident do it like that. I guess I wanted to be different.

Old 04-05-2002, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

If ya run in mud puddles and you don't use an airbox, I'd use a foam UNI instead of a paper K&N........also, I imagine you'll hafta rig up something to mount the RM's box up to your frame, but if you got that motor to fit, I don't think it'd be a problem........maybe you could run the open filter and just make some kind of "splash shield" for it......

Old 04-05-2002, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Welding sheet metal isnt that big of a deal. I say just go that route. Besides it's not like you have to have a lid for it. Even if you do make a lid all you'd have to do is tack weld a coupple nuts to the airbox and drill some holes through the lid that you made to put bolts through. Just be careful that you don't burn through.

Old 04-05-2002, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

The splash gaurd idea is interesting. Thanks.

If I were fabbing up an airbox, I'd go with pop rivots instead of welding and I'd probably go with no lid.

Thanks everyone for their ideas!

Old 04-06-2002, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Justin when it comes down to fabricating an air box you dont have to weld it all together there is special bonding agents that you can use. there very simple to use and it makes the box air tight. Forget the steel box you can go with a custom plastic box made from hockey board. I now of this company here in the city that can make them up no problem and cheap to. email me back and ill let you know more.

Old 04-06-2002, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

hmmmm... very interesting! But, where can I find your Email address?

Old 04-06-2002, 01:37 AM
Trailblazer
Old 04-06-2002, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

The LT pipes were designed for the LT engine. The shockwave timing is different. It wouldn't work.

from motorcycle.com:

the pulse of exhaust gases rushing out the port creates a positive pressure wave which radiates from the exhaust port. The sound will be be the same frequency as the engine is turning, that is, an engine turning at 8000 rpms generates an exhaust sound at 8000 rpms or 133 cycles a second--hence, an expansion chamber's total length is decided by the rpm the engine will reach, not displacement.

About the airbox: Thanks for the offer, but I'm going with a K&N/polished sheetmetal box setup.

Old 04-08-2002, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Go with whatever will work best just get it running!

Quick Reply: To air box or not to air box...