Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger 500 5sp opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jham

I dont know about the eiger auto..
But the eiger 5 speed will definately kill the kod in almost all areas. And our 2002 was not broken and neither was the 2000 we had before [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The kod was the best machine, and probably the best auto in its class. The 5 spd eiger is faster, accel's quicker, lower low range for pulling and towing (no belt) very quiet engine, no vibration. Much better front diff than the kods (cone style instead of clutch disks).

Try the 5spd I think you will see what I mean... I have heard that the auto is not as snappy..???

Old 05-20-2002, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

I look forward to trying it out and plan to buy one. I'm just saying I know the Kod is faster than the Eiger auto or at least the one I rode. Therefore it should beat the 5sp because the auto does not have the hesitation when changing gears. It's like the Big Bear 400 my buddy has. We have basically the same engine, except the Kod's water cooled and we are even till he changes gears and I leave him more every time he changes gears. I realize a geared bike should have more snap cause of the auto lag but some of that is lost in the gear changing. Anyway it is a moot point cause I like the bike and I hope it does have the pep you say it does cause I want a bike that can kick the rearend out, etc. in 2wd. Hope to test drive it soon if my dealer can find one...

Old 05-21-2002, 01:37 AM
Trailblazer

Hi all, just thought I would give my 2 cents. Just bought my Eiger and I must say it is faster than the Kodiak. Mine is a 5 spd and I have not ridden a auto Eiger. The auto may be slower. I rode the Eiger and Kodiak back to back at the dealer. Ran circles around the Kodiak. This may be a isolated case, but I love my Eiger and would not trade it for any other model.

Old 05-21-2002, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think you can tell which ones faster in a parking lot at a dealer unless there is a lot of room to wind it out. The Kodiak takes a several seconds to get going but then a power band kicks in and you will hear a whinning turbo like sound. I hope the Eiger is faster, that would be cool but I doubt it. The eiger may have more initial punch when you hit the throttle but I don't think it would win a drag. However, I may be mistaken and will let you know if I get one.

Old 05-21-2002, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

The dealer where I tested these two bike had a real off-road track with alot of whoops and some nice long straight shots. No hard roads invloved. And I tested both for about 10 mins each. According to the seat of the pants dyno, the Eiger won. Maybe the Yamaha was out of tune...

Old 05-22-2002, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider

I think it would be an interesting drag for reasons listed above, auto v/s standard. But if an Eiger will out run, hang w/ a Wolverine they must be quick. The dealer still hasn't called me, guess they are still in short supply. I think they are a good value for the money. A big bear will cost about $5400.00 and the eiger 4999.00. What did you guys pay if I may ask. Thanks.

edited price of Eiger/ my bad.

Old 05-22-2002, 08:52 AM
Range Rover

OUCH! I paid $4995 for the Arctic Cat 375 which has the automatic.

Old 05-22-2002, 01:47 PM
BK
Pro Rider

I would start by going to the Suzuki web site and finding all the dealers within, say, 75-100 miles. Then, start checking availability and prices. I have seen the 4X4 manuals advertised around $4700. I paid $3950 for my 2wd, which is $250 below MSRP. At that rate the 4X4 would have been $4750 and usually the more expensive machines have more dealing room on price.

Old 05-22-2002, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I paid more then any of you but it because where I live and they ship them in by boat here and you pay for it too. I am not a young kid maybe at heart lmao [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. I know I rode with both HONDA AND YAMAHA. I will put money on my Eiger. I will whip there *** 4 real[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-22-2002, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer

You guys up north must have more leverage because down here I could not find many dealers that would budge. I probably called 5 or 6 dealers over a 2 week time and was going back and forth with price between them. The best I could get was 5299 out the door (w/ tax, etc.). And this was 250 better than the next price. I think it is well worth that compared to the other quads to chose from. You guys that can get them for 4700 to 4800, more power to ya...

Quick Reply: Eiger 500 5sp opinions...