Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

What's a used LTZ 400 worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not an add, just a question. I bought a ltz 400 before memorial day for $5698 out the door. I am very impressed and pleased with its quality and performance. However, I just sold my yz 400 to get it and I miss 2 wheels. I even have dreams at night of being back on 2 wheels. I was just wondering what a ltz with about 8 hours on it is worth, or how long does it take to make the transition from 2 to 4 wheels? I can't really justify (time and money) having both right now. The ltz is stock, would pipe/airbox/jetting mods sway my opinion? This is probably a heresy to you die hard ATVers but I would apperciate some input.
JasonK Apple Valley, Ca.

Old 07-16-2002, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

Well, for one my friend, you've only eight hours on it. It's still riding like a stocker. Believe me, you put another seventeen to twenty hours on it and it REALLY starts to wake up. It's a totally different bike now, AND, if you're wanting to pipe and jet it, well that will really help. Especially if you go with the Alba max flow kit, K&N, outerwears with the lid off. With that, well, let's just say you could definitely line up with some raptors and surprise people. And you're still under the cost of a raptor. Not bad for our litttle 400's. I dunno man. I would not and will not trade this bike for any other. I am barely healed from my surgery and putting on my skids today. It was my first day out of the house since. Pretty tired, but whatever, it's a labor of love. And people look at me funny too when I tell them stuff like that, but I don't even try to explain it, they wouldn't understand anyway. In the end, you do what you feel you'd be happy with. But, I'd get some more hours on it myself. If you're only at eight hours, by manual standards, you shouldn't have even taken it past half throttle. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Old 07-16-2002, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

weekend warrior

If you do decide to get rid of it and it is for the right price let me know I might be interested. I also live in Apple Valley so it would be a rather simple deal. Not sure why you want to get rid of it though. I just love mine. I do understand about not having enough time to ride it though, I also have a 250f and I ride that way more than my quad.

Old 07-16-2002, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Where did you buy it from? That looks like a good price. That is OTD (including sales tax???)

I would say sell it for $5000. You really can't expect someone to pay your sales tax since they will have to pay sales tax when they register the quad. You may be able to get $5500 for it since I think there are a lot of people that are paying $6200-$6500 OTD for these quads. For them, $5500 (+$440 sales tax) would be a good price. It is funny, people don't think about the sales tax they are going to pay on a used quad, only sales tax they are going to pay on a new quad. Watch out though, if you make money on the sale, you will owe income tax on it. Best thing to do in that case is put a lower price on the sales sheet, that way you won't have income and the buyer won't owe as much sales tax (just don't tell the tax man about it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])

Old 07-19-2002, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, 8 hours on a stocker isn't probably enough time to tell for sure. But after eight hours on my two previous bikes (YZ 400F & KX 250) I knew they were compatible rides. I did a few laps on my buddy's 2000 RM 250 and knew I could never get along with it. The hard part of my decision is whether to wait till 10 hours and uncork it, or sell it while it is still fresh and stock. I'm going to see if I can't budget in buying a new YZ250f and keep this. If not, I'll probably go with the 250F, less motor but I'm quicker on a two wheeled chassis. BUT, this forum and the people on it seem way cooler than any two wheeled forums and I've noticed fellow quad riders are very friendly on the trail--this is very important to me because I'm a family man and my boy just loves his lt50 quad. We'll see, I appreciate the info!
Jason K apple valley, ca.