Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

My LT250R died and now it wont start. The kicker takes my leg off! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 01:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.

My '92 LT250R won't start! I was riding it a few days ago, it started to loose power, then it lost the idle, and now it's dead! I checked the carb, all seems good. I checked the reeds, they appear ok. I did a compression test, and got a reading of 150. Is that ok? I got a spark from the plug, with the plug out when grounding it.

When I do try and start it, after about 5 kicks, I hear a pop, and the kickstart comes back it me with full force and smacks my foot, driving my leg into the air. It's not a nice feeling. I think I strained my calf muscle on the dang thing.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks!

!*mr.bones!*

Old 08-28-2002, 01:55 PM
Range Rover

It could be one of two things one it could be your airfilter is competly clogged but that is very unlikly but jjust check it anyways or sorry to say u might have just blown ur top end [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2002, 02:03 PM
Range Rover

I just cleaned the air filter so it's ok. If I blew the top end would I still have a compression reading of 150?

!*mr.bones!*

Old 08-28-2002, 02:59 PM
Range Rover

I just thought of something. If the kicker kicks back, is this due to a backfire of the engine? And if so, if that caused by worn reeds?

!*mr.bones!*

Old 08-28-2002, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

The same thing happened to my 87 zilla. It would kick so hard that I would be afraid to break my ankle. You either broke the flywheel or you sheared the flywheel key. I'm guessing it's the key. If it was a broken flywheel you would not even get a spark. The old flywheel are defective and are prone to break. The replacements are a permanent fix. If it's the key...a new one is $0.75 and make sure the nut is tight enough!!!! The key is not there to drive the rotor it only serves to line it up.

Old 08-28-2002, 06:02 PM
Range Rover

Do you think the kick start problem is a separate issue from it stalling the other day? I did richen the needle jet and the bike ran for 12 minutes before stalling. I checked the plug and it was black. I readjusted the carb back to what it was (when it ran OK), but know have this kick start problem. I remember it doing it slightly last week, but if I kicked hard enough and followed though nice and good to the bottom, I had no problem. But now the kickback seems to be stronger.

Thanks,

!*mr.bones!*

Old 08-28-2002, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Do you think the kick start problem is a separate issue from it stalling the other day?
Did it run after it stalled the other day? For how long? I sheared the timing key a couple of years ago and screwed up the timing and what was happening was it was firing when the piston was comming up thus kicking back HARD. Your kick back problem makes me think of a timing problem maybe with the rotor or with the stator being loose.

Old 08-28-2002, 08:15 PM
Range Rover

The bike hasn't run at all since it died. Before it died, it was losing power, then it quit. I could get it started after that, but the idle was disappearing, so I turned in the idle screw and it lasted a few seconds and died. I got it started one more time, was able to keep the engine running with more throttle. It went 200 feet and died for good. I tried to start it after that until my leg gave out. I figured something had to be wrong so I called it quits and started walking back to the truck.

I've only been out 3 times on this thing and haven't done any engine work to it since I got it. I've rebuilt other engines (ATC200x, ATC200S, ATC90, Yamaha Blaster) so I'm familiar with engine mechanics, but not the LT250R first hand. I probably have to take off the left side cover and take a look around at the stator? I'll take a look at my Clymer manual and see what I can find.

Thanks,

!*mr.bones!*

Old 08-28-2002, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

Stator, Stator, Stator! The exact same thing happened to my 250. I still have a scar on my ankle where it kicked back and went up my leg. It's only sparking some of the time and when it does, watch out. I to had a broken fly wheel key, but after replacing it still had the every now and then sparking problem. It would actually crank and run some times but after about 30 seconds or 15 feet it would cut out and die. Your choices are to either have the stator re wound or buy a new one, if it is the stator. I bought a used one for $180, if I had to do it again I would just go new.

Old 08-28-2002, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

well when my blaster top end went it gradually started losin power and then it did die and wouldnt start back up so u should take apart ur engine and like sum1 else said it could be your reeds so check them too

Quick Reply: My LT250R died and now it wont start. The kicker takes my leg off! Help!