Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Rode a 43 Horsepower Alba Project Z ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was up in my local mountains (San Bernardino Mtns, near Big Bear Lake) yesterday at Cactus Flats. The staging area is an old sand quary. Around it are sandy (incredibly fun with lots of banked S-turns) tight single track trails, some hill climbs, and a section of huge whoops. So. Calif. riders who are not familiar with the area, e-mail me for directions. IT IS A GREAT PLACE FOR PLAY RIDING WITH THE KIDS!!!

The guys camped next to me had some interesting bikes, so I went over to talk shop with them. One was an Alba project Z. It has just come back for Pismo, where Dirt Wheels Magazine did a test/photo shoot on it (and another Z that wasn't there). Look for it in a future Dirt Wheels issue (it is the white one). They also had an Alba project Banshee.

The bike has 43 horsepower (dynoed by Alba)!! What is incredible is the engine displacement is a STOCK 400 cc's!!! No 450 bore-out!! It is amazing to get that kind of horsepower out of a 400. (YOU "THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT" GUYS, BETTER JUST GIVE IT UP!!) I can't remember all the mods, but it had a pipe, K&N, cams, etc., but it was still a 400! The owner was kind enough to offer me a ride, so who was I to refuse his hospitality??? Keep in mind that this was a bike jetted for Pismo, and we were riding at 6,000'. Also, if someone is going to let me borrow their bike, I have to respect their equipment, so I am not going to push it hard enough to get into trouble!! So, here is my rider review:

I have complained often in the forum about the Z's lack of low end. This bike was way better than stock, but it DID NOT have what I would call "monster low end torque". I think this engine is just one that has to be kept reved out past that flat spot on the bottom end (you Banshee riders know what I mean). I forgot to ask about gearing, but now that I think of it, they probably went one tooth larger than stock on the front sprocket (???), which would not help the low end any.

It was way to much bike for trail riding!! On the 400EX I am use to punching the throtle coming out of turns (and doing a LITTLE wheelie to impress the ladies). Throtle response on the Z was excellent, and if you even give the throtle a little punch, the bike stands up and salutes you, and you are off the trail. (Then you stop to pull the Yucca spines out of your tires.)

The bike has a fierce hit in the mid and upper part of the power band, and will easily wheelie in any gear. On hill climbs, it just pulled and pulled, with never a need to shift down. When you wanted more it was always there. In the BIG whoops, just get on the throtle and sit back, and the bike skips along from top to top. As a desert racer, widen it 4" and this bike would be perfection!! It's high end would get you past anything. The Banshee flated out, so we didn't get a chance to do a drag race. (I think my kids ran the Banshee rider off the trail, and it met up with one of those Yucca plants).

I asked the owner what else he was going to do to it. Alba told him a 450 conversion would add something like 6 hp. He said he could probably "kill himself just fine on the bike the way it was", so he was going to skip that one. He does have WorksPerformance shocks on order.

Old 09-16-2002, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

YZGUY,

I'd like to ride up there where is it.

WP has a 436 kit from Trinity in his withour cams or Ignition box and he is getting I think 43.

Cannondales have been getting this out of the MOTO for over a year so no real shock on the power capabilities of the smaller bores.

Smitty

Old 09-16-2002, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Cactus Flats Directions-From Big Bear, take highway 18 north toward the desert (Lucerne Valley). You will pass Baldwin (dry) Lake, head over a ridge, and down through some hairpin turns. From here, you will see the staging area down in the valley below you to the right. Eventually, there will be a long straight section in the road. There is a pretty prominent sign marking the entrance to dirt road 3N03 (the sign has an atv on it). You will have to go about a mile on 3N03 to a fork in the road (there is a sign) go to the right to the staging area. The area is Pinyon-Juniper woodland (the trees are short), so there isn't much shade!! Bringing an Easy-Up shade is a big help.

At the staging area, there is a large play area, and around it there are some fun trails that are sandy. As you get away form the staging area, the trails get (sometimes very) rocky. There are usually trail maps on the board at the staging area. The trails reconnect to road 3N03, which you can ride out toward the desert.

Old 09-16-2002, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Is it Green Sticker only?
Do you have to have a day or season pass?

Thanks

Smitty

Old 09-16-2002, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

The green sticker (seasonal) thing applies, but nobody ever comes around to check. If you see a ranger coming your way, jump on the bike and go for a (long) ride. You will need an "adventure pass", on your car or truck.

Old 09-16-2002, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

These kind of stories just motivate me to upgrade my Z!!! I can't wait for that issue of dirt wheels to come out!!!

Old 09-16-2002, 10:36 PM
WP
Pro Rider

What kind of a friend are you Smitty? It is 45hp. Looks like I need to show you 45hp worth of roost.

Old 09-17-2002, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

Sick dude!!! im going to have to post this at *you know* to show the guys, im heading over to alba this week so ill ask them whats with this new project bike!

Old 09-17-2002, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

YZGUY- whats your email addy?

Old 09-17-2002, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

WP,

I said "I THINK" which is a lie. Sorry I forgot, nope that's my web site, The way you ride you don't need more than 25ish anyway. Did you talk to Harry about the cams yet?

Later

Smitty

Quick Reply: Rode a 43 Horsepower Alba Project Z ! ! !