Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger vs. KingQuad

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger vs. KingQuad

I may sell my KingQuad soon and get an Eiger. How does the Eiger compair. I like high speed trail riding mud I pull a lot of heavy weight and plow snow in the winter. Which will be better?

Old 10-11-2002, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned both - KQ and Eiger.

For pure work like plowing snow and pulling a heavy load the KQ will still be better. With more weight and more lower gearing choices it should be able to outwork the Eiger....but not by very much.

For any kind of fun stuff like trail riding the Eiger will be much, much better than the KQ. I cannot find any trail conditions ( including deep mud) where the Eiger does not outperform the KQ. Basically the Eiger is very much towards the "sport" end of sport/ute while the KQ is solidly in the working end of the utility class.

Jaybee

Old 10-12-2002, 12:49 AM
Trailblazer

Same as above. Just depends what you want to do more. I do mostly trail riding and the Eiger is great. Plenty of speed and fairly agile too. For a 4-by anyway...

Old 10-12-2002, 03:22 AM
Range Rover

I own a 2002 Red Eiger 400 4x4 5spd and I would Definately get the Eiger! I only have 48 miles on her but she has been great those 48 miles! KQ is straight Utility for work. The Eiger can be both "Sporty" and Utility. KQ is a great quad and has great features but you will have alot more fun with the Eiger.

Old 10-13-2002, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer

I love the King but it is slow and I can't jump it. It's a 99 with 2500 miles. It needs a new base gasket but that is about it. Great machine. I could sell it for about $4000 to my idiot neighbor and get a brand new Eiger for nothing. I just don't know what to do.

Old 10-14-2002, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer

Of course, your idiot neighbor just read this and is now on his way over to kick the snot out of you. If I were you, I would be careful what I put into a post. You just never know who may be reading it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi.

Perhaps this will give you a different perspective.

If you've ever gone though terrain such as a forest clear cut, or diamond drill trail you'll know what an ATV nightmare is.

We ran the Suzuki King Quad 2002, Suzuki Eiger 400, Arctic-cat 400 (manual), a kawasaki klf 220 and a prarie 650 through the paces.

There are obviously some advantages in some of these machines. Most noticably the Ground clearence.

The Eiger did well on running logs and bumps (shorter wheele stance). However in steep side holes it was the least usefull. The Kawasaki klf 220 was not much better. However it is only a 2wd, however the
klf 200 is also much lighter and can be pulled out easily.

The Suzuki king quad was one of the best on rocky terrain, and realy sticky mud, not to mention pulling power and stability.

The Eiger was a "demon possesed" in the mud (mud beware!) this machine eats it up.

We supose that in comparing the Eiger is simular to small sport utility automobile, the KingQuad is more of a GMC Chevy Suburban, or Dodge ram 2500 pickup workhorse.

The kawasaki models such as the bayou and prarie are not known for "YAHOO!!" Spins and jumping.
Kawasaki has a sport line for that.

In our trials (every ay work and those trips though the clear cuts, e.t.c. ) We liked the prarie 650. However don't get stuck in mud with it. It's underbelly skid plates basicaly mar you to the ground, not to
mention the Prarie 650's weight. In rocky and normal terrain the Prarie is nearly the best machine yet.

However the Bayou 220, and 250 are nice mahcines, light, reliable and easy to get out.

If a machine has an automatic tranmission. It's best to get that machine with a hi/low gear option.

Hi= normal driving, lo=independant wheel power /traction, Lo lock= full 4x4 all wheels pull at the same time.

This has obvious advantages more in tune to the "work" class ATV.

The Arctic-cat 400 or 500 is a very impressive machine. Not to mention one of the only brands left that make a Manual transmission atv with hi/lo, V-axle, a long wheel stance and a nice size motor.

This is probably by far our favorate in "work" machines with probably the highest ground clearence yet, power, stability, e.t.c

For generaly small work and play the Kawasaki Bayou line is by far our favorate.

As for Bombardier atv's . Well that's a sad story. The original traxter was one of the best machines ever
built.

Unfortunately after that the Bombardier ATV line took a noze dive. Point of fact that Bombardier does
most of it atv sales in the USA (over 90%). Therefore they concentrated on adding "fancy" options in order to attract customers. It's why bombardier corp is selling it's recreational vehicle line.

In Canada the Bombardier atv's are now almost a no sell. Not a good sign for campany located in Canada.

Arctic-cat would dwarf most atv makes if thier tech/customer service anything more than useless and costly. Most notably in Canada.

Anyhow. Enough ranting for now.

We hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2003, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

I would definately go with the Eiger because it is a new platform and it is much sportier. It should be able to do just as much as the King Quad in the utility category and it will be much better in everything else. I am getting an Eiger soon and i have read alot about them and everything i read seems to give them praise.

Old 04-07-2003, 10:59 PM
GT2
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: northernharrier
Hi.

Unfortunately after that the Bombardier ATV line took a noze dive. Point of fact that Bombardier does
most of it atv sales in the USA (over 90%). Therefore they concentrated on adding "fancy" options in order to attract customers. It's why bombardier corp is selling it's recreational vehicle line.

No, they're going to sell the rec vehicle line because it's making money and they need the money to become more solvent with their debtors. How well do you think their small jet division would sell right now? Hmmmm.

Old 04-08-2003, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

Northern I don't know what Bomby is doing out there in Alt, but here in Ont the dealers are selling Outlanders to the point of running out & the snows not gone yet??

Quick Reply: Eiger vs. KingQuad