Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT250R for MX racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT250R for MX racing

I just bought a 91 LT250R from up north, haven't recieved it yet. But it's stock in good condition and I have a FMF Fatty for it.

I bought the quad on a good deal to try it out and see what it would be like to move back to the 2 strokes for racing.

I never owned one of these and was just wondering how you all liked or what you have tride on one of these for racing.

I know the TRX250R is said to handle better, but I don't have one, so lets hier about the LT250R's

Old 11-07-2002, 05:37 PM
Range Rover

You can't complain the way these things jump. I thought it would be a handful just by the way I felt when I sit on it. I'm 6'4", so it feels a little weird to me. But I finally got the bugs worked out of it, took it to a practice track and jumped it for the first time last Thursday. It landed like a feather, and was real stable in the air. I was really impressed. So I took it to it's first race last Saturday and ran the 2-stroke C class, and ended up bringing home a 5ft trophy. Can't complain for a 89 basket case that I fixed for $500. I can only imagine how it will be with a-arms and better shocks!! Just one thing I noticed is that it don't have the hang time my friends 250r has. But thats ok, I just have to lay into the throttle a little bit more. But you'll be happy, I sure am impressed.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:10 PM
Range Rover

so the lts are good for jumpin u say?? i cant really say becuz i havent jumped mine that much yet but the one time i did it seemed like my frame was about to rub te grond but maybe im wrong? any1 ever bottom out? this jump didnt have a landing eather though

Old 11-07-2002, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

I'm hoping it floats well in the air, kinda hoping it does alot of things.
I raced a lakota this hole past season, man that thing is heavy. What I'm looking for is a lighter more floatable quad, the LT looks like it will be a good one. It's 175 pounds lighter than my lakota so that helps.

I'm hoping it has some flickable power to press the Z400 and a few others as well.

The one I got is a 91 and we have a FMF for it. I'm thinking just put the pipe on, a filter and do some jetting. At this point I'm going to just run it so I can feel it out some before I design a wish list.

For jumping exspecially with no landings, try to hold your front end up just a tad and about a 1' or so before you land nail the gas. It softens the landing quite a bit and you hardly ever bottom out. Biggest no no when jumping is waiting to land. Always make sure when you land your already going forward and on the gas.

Old 11-07-2002, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

I AM FIXING UP MY 92. THE FRONT SHOCKS ARE JUNK. I GOT WORKS TO GO ON IT BUT NOT PUT THEM ON YET. ALL THE REAR SHOCKS I HAVE SEEN NEED TO RECHARGED. I HAD PRO-ACTION SUSPENSION REVALVED AND UPGRADE MINE. I LOVE THE RACERS. I THINK THEY HANDLE AND RUN GREAT.

Old 11-08-2002, 12:04 AM
Range Rover

I love the racers, I have a 88 now and just got a set of works Tri rates for it. Big improvment!!!!!!!! These things are night and day difference. I don't think I'll ever have another quad with stock shocks. I think the LT's for the price are a great quad, granted the TXR's are better handlers, you also have to pay more for them. If I were you I would pipe it and jet it up right. That will give you a good runner, after that try a V-force intake. Then do some porting to realy wake it up, then you can add a Cool Head and a carb. And in all this motor work, don't forget the clutch, I suggest adding a Hinson. Good luck with ur purchase and have fun, you'll love it way more than that Lakota.

Old 11-08-2002, 02:47 PM
Pro Rider

i had to sell my 250R a year ago for some quick cash. but i talked the wife into letting me buy an 88lt250r for 1600.00. i wish i took a pic before i ripped it apart heheh. had primer black plastic,flouresent green spray can engine. stickers everywhere to hold on the primer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. cracks in the plastic. i found a bent steering stem upon disasembly. i told the wife i wouldnt widen it this time hehehe but i hopt to sweat talk her into letting me. i think it wont be a bad bike thou. my frame did have more cracks in it than the local crack ***** heheheh, i welded and gusseted it and hurculined it ((i dont recommend hurculiner )).
hope to have it done by spring.
everyone that owns a LT250r post some pics like in the quadzilla thread. lets see them

Old 11-08-2002, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

here's a little more input for ya!! i love my 92lt it jumps great floats in the air lands ok (front shocks would help) and then comes the mods....... i have some done to mine ( hinson, v-force,port & polish, fmf pipe, air filter and 60 over .. cool head and bigger carb next summer.
all stuff listed really makes a world of change to the bike... for the better of corse!! but i think you will like your new toy!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2002, 03:59 PM
Range Rover

Here is the only pic I have of my 88 online, I'll try to get some more pics

My 88 Lt250r

Old 11-08-2002, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

You guys are pumping me up to get this thing down here. Just talked to my bro minutes ago. He's telling me his plan to use the front shocks off of it to test on his TT TRX250R. Hmmmmmm.....was kinda waiting to save the cash to wait and ship it this month. On second thought I better just put it on the credit card and get it quick.

Yah I'm getting pumped. I have a race next week on a SX track wich requires big air, kota does the jumps but the landings hurt, ALOT.

I checked into revalving the rear shock and getting some works triple rates on the front. Add the steering stabalizer and I'll be ready for the start of the winter series come Jan 5th. Need to get it here and check it out.