Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Vinson or Polaris Sportsman 600?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinson or Polaris Sportsman 600?

I posted this on the Polaris forum and received some great feedback. Now I would like to hear fom some Suzuki owners or ridders. I currently have a 2000 Wolverine and it just dosen't seem to have the power I need. Looking to buy either a Vinson manual or a Sportsman 600. Those are my 2 choices. I am leaning towards the Sportsman 600. I want this to be my last Quad. I use to have a closed mind when it came to polaris, but now I believe they are built just as good as the rest. If anyone has ridden the two I would like to hear the good or bad points. This is a very tough decision.

Old 12-26-2002, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, tough choice. Both are great quads. The choice of manual transmission and lighter weight are the Vinson's advantages, The smooth power of the 600 twin and the Independent rear suspension are the advantages of the Polaris. Ride them both, you can't go wrong with either.

Old 12-27-2002, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

I can't directly answer your quad comparision but I may be able to help with your "last quad to ever own" comment. I point this out to folks asking me about a polaris. I ask them to look at all their buddies, buddies buddies, deer camps, etc. What is the one thing missing from all these places? An old Polaris. You see 80's, 90's Suzuki's, Honda's, Yamaha's, even Kawa's. But never any old Polaris'. When I was buying a quad I found them...behind the dealers in piles.

Just my .02.

Rob

KQ owner.

Old 12-27-2002, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

I can't directly answer your quad comparision but I may be able to help with your "last quad to ever own" comment. I point this out to folks asking me about a polaris. I ask them to look at all their buddies, buddies buddies, deer camps, etc. What is the one thing missing from all these places? An old Polaris. You see 80's, 90's Suzuki's, Honda's, Yamaha's, even Kawa's. But never any old Polaris'. When I was buying a quad I found them...behind the dealers in piles.
Thats because of problems they used to have. The new machines are much more reliable. I don't see any old polariss in piles behind my dealers.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-27-2002, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

I think Polaris makes a good quad. I have two good buddies who run the dealership where I live. However, my two main quams with Polaris is the weight and lack of engine brake in the front wheels. In PA I assume there are some pretty steep mountains and having engine brake in the front wheels is a huge safety factor. I've seen SP's slide down STEEP hills out of control with the rider scared to death that 750+ lbs was going to end up on top of them. This mainly applies to really steep hills and not average hills though. The rear engine brake also engages too quickly and harshly causing you to slide down hills. I've had a friend trade his SP for a Big Bear just to have some decent engine brake though he was giving up a lot of other features on his SP. Don't get me wrong, Polaris is the one to beat in mud and ride if that's what you want. I just demand more from a 4-wheeler than mudding and smooth ride. Around here, you can go around a mud hole but not a mountain. But I do think the sp 600 might just be their best bike to date despite the lack of engine brake in the front.

Old 12-27-2002, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I recently purchased a Suzuki Vinson with the 5 speed manual. I can tell you that it is a great quad. It handles well for a 600 pound 4x4 and has lots of power and speed. I can't say much about the Polaris 600 as I have not ridden one, but I looked at one and was impressed with the independent rear suspension and clearance in the back. One of the reasons I went with the Vinson is that I wanted to avoid any quad with a belt drive due to reliability and maintenance. If you get the Vinson you won't be disappointed.

Old 03-05-2003, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well first off I have owned a 1999 polaris scrambler 500 4x4 the thing was fast as hell and had great traction. But I always had problems with the damn thing there wasnt nothing that had not been replaced before I traded it in on a 2003 vinson 500 manual shift. After it has been broken in the thing has a hell of a lot of torque and i personally think if i was riding along in second and a stock scrambler pulled up beside me I could pull away from it. Also when I owned the scrambler I put 25 inch titan 489,s on it and it had a brand new belt and primary clutch on it and i was climbing up a steep hill and the damn belt slipped. I had to go back to the stock tires. Before I owned a polaris I belived that all the bad stuff the said about them was bull but after i owned the scrambler I would have to agree.If I was you I would buy the suzuki and I promise you will not regret it.

Old 03-10-2003, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

I will personaly never own a quad with irs. I was carrying an elk back to camp on the rear rack and on a slight side with no notice at all the thing just decided to roll over and down the hill. Go with the vinson manual.

Old 03-20-2003, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the Suzuki 500 manual and my buddy has the Polaris. He wishes he had my Suzuki!!! Buy the Suzuki. You won't be disappointed.

Old 03-20-2003, 12:36 AM
Range Rover

This is a tough choice i have rode with a twin 600 and its a very nice quad but i dont have very much trust in ther engines. He has just bought it and it already has some knocking noise and the valves are ticking very badly. But once he gives it gas and gets it going it discontinues the noise so i dont really know what it is. Its a nice quad, i was planning on buying a Vinson but the Eiger was just a great deal and decided to get it. Get something that you know is going to last you, IRS means more CV Joint boot problems which is about $200 each to replace. I think the Auto tranny is nice but when it all comes down to tuff and dirty jobs and lil to no maintenance the 5 spd is the way to go. Suzuki makes one of the best, reliable and longest lasting engine in the ATV Industry i would choose the Vinson i truly think it would be right, considering it being your last Quad, so make the right choice and go Suzuki. I have heard nuthing but great things about the Vinson and its power.

Quick Reply: Vinson or Polaris Sportsman 600?