Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

When will I roll my Vinson

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When will I roll my Vinson

I am a relatively new rider. I have a 2003 Vinson auto and was riding into a creek the other day. I had to enter off camber and wasn't really sure how far I could push this quad without tipping it over. Any advice / general rule of thumbs out there. Assuming one side of the quad is on flat ground and the other is going over or down an obstacle, how high/low can the side be without tipping?

Old 02-14-2003, 01:01 AM
RIP Dear Friend

valone123,

I have been riding a long time, dirtbikes way before quads and I would say if you feel un-easy about it in any way don't do it.

Back out.

Its not worth getting hurt over. I always want to make it home.

You will learn after time and your skills with the quad will improve.

It becomes almost second nature on what a quad will or won't do and that requires hours on the seat to learn.

ChetRacer

Old 02-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

valone123,
If one of your tires come off the ground and it starts to tip you know you have gone to far. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Just Kidding...

After time you will know the end and outs of your quad.
Like Chet said it is all about experience. If you don't feel comfortable don't do it. There is no rule of thumb about how steep of an incline it takes to tip over. Have fun and be careful.

Old 02-15-2003, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Ya, it all just depends on your reaction time, terrain, speed, and positioning. There's really no way for us to say. You'll get the feel for it after you get more experience. Just don't do something you're not comfortable with. No sence in getting hurt and/or hurting your quad as well.

What size motor does the Vinson have?

I wish I had a utility quad so I could do some good trail riding/mudding. I used to have a 300ex and that thing was fun as hell... I wish I still had it just to beat the **** out of it. I'd put my Swampers on it again... that little quad was a trail monster and when I got it stuck, it was so light and easy to pull out.Dang... I miss that quad now. I love MX but I would like to have one of those "ride it and forget it" quads to use for trails and ****, and my C-dale is NOT one of those.

Old 02-15-2003, 08:36 AM
BK
Pro Rider

A couple of things to remember if you are in an off camber situation. Get your weight on the uphill side of your atv as much as possible. A little more speed will help, your momentum can carry you through better than just inching across an off camber area. If you have to cross a potentially dangerous off camber use a spotter or 2 to help in case it starts to tip. Tire pressure plays a factor in off camber stability. If you only have 2-3 pounds of air in the tires they tend to roll to the side decreasing stability. Even worthless stock tires will do better with 6-7 pounds of air in them. Like the posts above say, there is no replacement for experience to get the feel of what your machine can and cannot do.

Old 02-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Just roll the thing over a few times then you'll know the limits for sure [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Im just kiding. At least don't do it on purpose. I rolled my Rancher over within the first hour i had it.......three times my first ride [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] only once since then......... that just solidifies the fact that I don't have much of a brain. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

l8r
cart