Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

metal bands on axle boot

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metal bands on axle boot

I am trying to put a new rubber boot on my 4x4 bayou axle.I cant figure out how to tighten that metal band that holds the boot on the axle.Is there a special tool for this.I tried a hose clamp and it wouldnt work so I guess I will have to use the factoy metal bands.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

yeah your have to use the factory bands. they sell a metal banding pliers and your local dealer. i have never bought a pair but they are very cheap. like under $20. hope this helps.........shea...............

Old 01-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

thanks shea

Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Range Rover

hey man did you ever get that boot fixed. did you end up buying a banding tool?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

not yet.maybe this weekend

Old 03-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

Just incase you have not done this yet or anybody else cares... most boot kits come with a tiny little tool that looks like a hex bolt on one end and a tube with a slot on the other. The band goes through the slot. Just put the appropriate socket on the hexbolt end and turn. Be sure to turn it away from the clasp that folds over the bands. If you turn it towards that little clasp you will separtate the clasp from the part of the band that it is "perminately" attached to, (that is no fun).

The problem with hose clamps is that the ones that are of the right width are way to short. I have remedied this by daisy chaining three together. simply back out each clamp all the way and feed one end into the *** of the next. then tighten around your boot.

honestly i find that the hose clamp solution works much better than the OEM clamps. You can dial those SOB's down like nobodies buisness. Just dont go too tight or you will cut the boot again, (what fun).

Old 03-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Mine didnt come with the little tool but I actually found a clamp that fit it.I think this clamp was for a carburetor where the air filter hose attaches.Thanks for the information though

Old 03-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

Mine did not have clearance for a hose clamp. Finally with 3 hands, 2 screwdrivers and a needle nose we got it over the nipple.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

clearance was my problem too but the carb clamp had a real small screw to tighten it and it worked.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer

i assume that it was the tightening screw that interfered with some other part? that sounds super tight in there. Im sure it was a whole bunch of good times wrestling it together with the needlenose.

anyway ... glad you got it done

Quick Reply: metal bands on axle boot