Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Carburator problem - Honda Rancher 400

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb heater

Originally Posted by sst4530
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if that was a fuel pump. Never seen one on cycle carbs. Usually just fuel bowl, needle and seat with an accelerator pump. Didn't see any cable attached to the slide or diaphram assembly. Initially I thought it might be some type of fuel enrichment device for cold start up.
there is such device on these to warm the carb

Old 06-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2007 at rancher carb. issues

We are occasional users of our rancher. My problem is that the needle gets some kind of deposit on it and sticks, leaking fuel. This happens about every 3-4 months. After cleaning the sides of the needle valve it is fine. Is there any cure for this problem? My wife might use this machine about once a month, but this should not happen, I would think. My Yamaha never lets me down, which gets used about the same. I am getting pretty good at tearing this carb out and cleaning it out.
Any suggestions?

Old 06-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Old Dog Are you out there ??? Honda400AT carb trouble

Old Dog I have a Honda 400At rancher that also will never start did you ever find a cure for your problem . My dealer has cleaned the valve and jet several times .now they say that they just don"t know what to do ... Any help out there. Thank you

Old 06-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default honda 400AT

Mark, well funny thing is I tore this carb apart 3 times since winter, took it to my Honda dealer the last time. I showed him the needle and asked him what the crap was that was on it. He had no idea. So I stopped by the Yamaha dealer just down from my house, and showed him and he knew right away. Corrossion of the needle, caused by the water in the ethonol. He said that there is no cure. Either run a fuel stabolizer or run the carb out when done driving it. So I do both. We will see. He said if ANY machine sets for 30 days or longer, he tears the carb out and cleans it out. That sucks!!!
Maybe you needle is stuck shut and you are not getting any fuel in the bowl.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Carburator problem - Honda Rancher 400

I have this problem right now so I'm wondering if there a chance someone would have photos to share or step by step directions to removing the carb from the atv?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Brancher
I have this problem right now so I'm wondering if there a chance someone would have photos to share or step by step directions to removing the carb from the atv?
Well, I have done this several times and now remove, clean and reinstall and have running in about 4 hrs.
WHAT I HAVE LEARNED IS TO RUN THE ATV OUT OF FUEL WHEN I AM FINISHED WITH IT AND WON'T BE USING IT FOR SEVERAL DAYS. THIS HAS SEEMED TO PUT AN END TO THE WATER GETTING INTHE CARB AND CAUSING THE NEEDLE TO STICK AND START CORROSION. BEEN 3 MONTHS NOW AND KNOCKING ON WOOD.
1.Shut off the fuel and drain the line.
2.Remove all of the air intake manifold.
3.Remove the carb andturn upside doown, take off the bottom and then remove the needle valve. Clean and inspect for corrosion. I used 1500 wet dry cloth to polish. Carefull, it is soft metal.
4. Re-install in reverse.
5.KEEP THE CARB EMPTY WHEN IN STORAGE FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME.

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thanks for the post, same problem

Thanks for the post on running gas out and cleaning carb. Total newbie that came to forum trying to find solution for leaking carb.

I only use my ATV during duck season and a few other times to play, so it sits a lot.

Have been having problems with leaking carb for a year.

Took to local ATV shop, they fixed, but started again after a month or so.

Took to dealer, they claim rebuilt carb, but started again after a month or so.

Hmmm, will try your advice and see if that helps. Nothing to lose, thanks for sharing.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, my last post was about running the fuel out when finished riding my 400 rancher. Last carb teardown was back in June. I am half afraid to say that this seems to stop my problem. But you know I will go out and check it and it will leak for sure!!!
Note: When taking the needle out of the carb, inspect it very carefully. I even use a magnifying glass to look at any corrosion build up or crap that will hinder the needle from moving freely. I have polished it with 2000 grit emery VERY GENTLY, and it worked. Hope all of this info helps you guys out. For sure the manufacturerer or dealer doesn't want to help.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also do not use fuel that has any ethonal in it. BP is the only fuel in my area that does not have any or is very low. There is where you get all of your mositure.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up thanks for continued advice

Ran the gas out completely, even pulled out choke to make sure it was all gone.

Pulled top off carb, cleaned long needle carefully, wiped out crap in bottom, put back together.

Then let sit for hour. Turned gas back on, waited 2 minutes, no gas draining out bottom of carb.

Started the motor, put cardboard under to see if any drips, noticed small drip at primer, rubber may be worn out, but no steady stream out bottom of carb like before.

Ran for 10 minutes, sitting and doing a few runs, no drip!

Ran gas out again- let sit for an hour, turned back on- no drip!

Started engine, ran for 5 minutes, ran gas out and parked it.

Will crank this PM to see if it drips or not.

Always run the gas out of my old tractor and when had outboards, not sure why never thought to do this with atv and mud motor.

Thanks very much for posting your info, may not be solved, but sure better than it was.

Quick Reply: Carburator problem - Honda Rancher 400