Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Help with throttle/choke cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with throttle/choke cable

I was trying to take the carb out of my bike because its been sitting for a long while and could use a clean(something i have never done before :O, thought i would give it a try). The bike is a 95 polaris magnum 425 4x4. It was going great until i got to the throttle and choke cable and realize i have no idea how to unhook them. If anyone has any insight on this it would be appreciated if you would share. Thanks

Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

If the choke is a mechanical choke then there should be a part that unscrews from the carb and the choke is lke a little plunger that slides out. The little ball on the end of the choke cable is slid into a slid and sometimes barely held in place by a small spring. On my AC the choke cable goes through a little cap that you can unscrew and pull out. The cable passes through the cap and attached to the choke plunger. Don't forget to clean the choke plunger as it can stick if it gets gummed up.

Throttle cable should have a little plastic cover that covers up the end of the cable on the carb. Remove that cover and you should see a rotating cam/pulley looking mechanism that the partially wraps around and connects to. Reach in and turn the cam/pulley as far as it will go (mine turns counter clock wise) and hold the cam/pulley there. There should now be a loop of slack in the throttle cable. Using a needle nose pliers reach in and remove the end of the cable from its slot and gently release the cam/pulley. Now you need to undo a lock nut and unscrew the cable body from the cab housing. This nut and or the place it connects is sometimes covered by a small rubber boot on the cable.

A good help may be to search on the internet and find a parts schematic for your machine to see how things go together and give you an idea how to get them a part if you do not own a service manual.

SJ

Old 06-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by swampyjunior
If the choke is a mechanical choke then there should be a part that unscrews from the carb and the choke is lke a little plunger that slides out. The little ball on the end of the choke cable is slid into a slid and sometimes barely held in place by a small spring. On my AC the choke cable goes through a little cap that you can unscrew and pull out. The cable passes through the cap and attached to the choke plunger. Don't forget to clean the choke plunger as it can stick if it gets gummed up.

Throttle cable should have a little plastic cover that covers up the end of the cable on the carb. Remove that cover and you should see a rotating cam/pulley looking mechanism that the partially wraps around and connects to. Reach in and turn the cam/pulley as far as it will go (mine turns counter clock wise) and hold the cam/pulley there. There should now be a loop of slack in the throttle cable. Using a needle nose pliers reach in and remove the end of the cable from its slot and gently release the cam/pulley. Now you need to undo a lock nut and unscrew the cable body from the cab housing. This nut and or the place it connects is sometimes covered by a small rubber boot on the cable.

A good help may be to search on the internet and find a parts schematic for your machine to see how things go together and give you an idea how to get them a part if you do not own a service manual.

SJ

Thank you very much i'll give it a try and go from there!

Old 07-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

So i got the carb out easily with the info but i took it for a ride tonight it ran fine for a while then when back to what it was doing previous to the carb clean. it hesitating at random speeds sounds similiar to reverse without override. When i put the carb back together i didn't use new gaskets could this cause teh problem again or did i mis some build up(which there didn't appear to be much if any anywhere in there). Help?

Old 07-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

You can reuse the gaskets in the carb as long as they are not torn. If you removed the float bowl there should have been a little rubber round gasket that can be reused as well. The carb should have had a rubber boot where it attaches to the the air box and the intake manifold. So all is good there.

When you cleaned the carb how much junk was in the float bowl and what did it look like? You may need to remove it and check again and if you see more junk there remove the fuel tank, drain it and clean it out as well. If I remember correctly you can turn the fuel tank over (when its empty) and remove to small bolts and remove the fuel shut off valve from the bottom of the tank on a Polaris (not sure about your model though)

If you can clean the fuel inlet screen or screens of gunk as well. Then you may also want to get the smallest clear inline fuel filter you can find at the auto parts store and install it between the tank and carb. You may need to lengthen the fuel lines some to get the ne inline filter out of the way. I use zip ties and ties the fuel line to a vertical frame member on each side of the filter on my AC.

If after doing this it does your problem is not solved then you may need to look at an electrical issue. I am still leaning towards junk in the fuel though messing the carb up again.

SJ