Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

gas in oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas in oil

Hi, I'm purchasing a 2008 Polaris Sportman 500 HO and noticed it has a gas smell in the oil. The tech at the local shop said it is probably coming from the carb. Has anyone else experienced that problem?

Old 12-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If this quad has a carb and not EFI, not any other place the fuel could be coming from. Stuck floats are a common problem.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:32 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Or a simple as the last guy start up procedure may be off. Like holding the throttle while starting the machine or leaving the choke on alittle longer than need be. Every time I change the oil I notice a gas smell, how bad is it?

Old 12-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I can smell it and the level on dip stick is high. The previous owner changed the oil the day I bought it but he trailered it to my place and left the petcock on. I've been told that can force gas into the crackcase. I've been shutting it off when not in use and it hasn't gotten any worse. I also have not been keeping the choke on very long. If it persists, I'll either tackle the carb myself or take to the dealer to have it rebuilt. Otherwise it is a great machine and next to new for two years old.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I would do a basic oil change and then see what you have afterward.