Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

2003 Polaris sportsman 500 ho

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Polaris sportsman 500 ho

Can someone help me with a no spark issue please? It started and ran fine when I pull started it.then I hooked it to a 1 amp slow charge charger and tried to start it from the key switch and it will only click at the solinoid by the battery.so I tried to pull start again and now I don't have spark.it was running perfect before that

Old 10-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First off check the battery. Have it load tested to see if it needs to be replaced.If it still wont crank up with the electric starter,but will start with the recoil starter,may have a solenoid or starter problem if it still just clicks. Sometimes tapping on the starter may temporarily free one up if the brushes are worn or dirty.You can also jump the solenoid posts to see if the starter works ok.Plus could be a problem on the pick up coil similar to what this member had and how he solved it. no spark to plug when using electric starter - Page 3 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Old 10-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the fast reply. I changed the battery last night and still just a click from the solinoid.i I rubbed the fly wheel and the other piece .sorry i forgot what it's called.but I rubbed those with light sand paper and tried pull starting it again with a plug sticking out and no sign of spark.someone said I fried something by hooking charger to it?

Old 10-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Shouldn't have hurt anything if you hooked the charger connections up right. Also just because you charged the battery up or even if it shows 12 volts on a meter,a battery can still have a shorted cell and may not be able to deliver enough voltage. Just use a meter on the battery posts while someone tries to start the machine. If battery voltage drops below 9 volts while under a load,then that could be the problem on not getting enough voltage to trigger the solenoid. You can do a resistance test on the two wires coming from the pick up coil also. The white/red to white wire leading to the cdi should show around 97 ohms,+ or - 20%. If way less than this reading the pick up coil could be bad. If the pick up coil is ok wouldn't hurt to lightly tap the pick up coil bracket inward toward the flywheel just a tad and see if you then have spark with the recoil or starter(if you get it to work). If you don't have spark,then could be a stator,cdi or coil related problem.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks I'll give that a shot.i replaced the battery it's brand new and still just clicks at the solinoid and when I try and jump it with a screw driver still just clicks just like if I'm turning the key.i tried getting the pulser closer to the fly wheel still no help.but I'm going to put the meter on it.ill let you know what I find.oh and does anybody have any pictures of under the hood where the radiator cap is.i think my rectifier/voltage regulator is missing. I have two yellow wires one with a red stripe sticking out and I can't find where they plug in.and I can't find where the rectifier no where.and I have a hose coming out of the very bottom of my fuel tank that leads to no where..thanks again sorry for the book I just wrote lol

Old 10-25-2014, 10:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Since you have a new battery and the solenoid is still clicking,check that that you have 12 volts on the starter wire itself. If you do have voltage then the starter/bendix is the problem. If you don't have power to the starter then the solenoid is bad.Bad on wire connectors pulling out on the regulator/rectifier on some Sportsman models. Regulator is under the front panel mounted behind the radiator.Item #35.Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Loose hose could be from the fuel tank vent located down from the fuel cap.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...003&fveh=30450

Old 10-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I'll check it out too.is there a way to post pictures on here so I can show you the wires I found?

Old 10-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

When I put my meter leads to the wires coming out of the cdi box ..white/red wire and white wire I get a reading of 1.998 and that's coming directly from the cdi

Old 10-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Make sure the key is off,meter set on ohms,pull the connector from the cdi. Check the white/red and white wires in the connector leading to the stator area. If pick up coil still shows bad,pick up coils are available here or on ebay,but I'd physically check the stator/pick up before I ordered one. Could be as simple a soldered wire loose on the pick up coil.Ricky Stator

Old 10-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry it has taken do long to get back ..but I was doing some more test tonight and I was leaning over the atv from the left side.while leaning over o was holding the spark plug and wire in one hand and spinning the engine over with the other by the key.as it was spinning over there was no spark but my elbow hit the red kill switch on the left handle bars and it shocked the heck out of me.so I tried again and this time while spinning it over I clicked the kill switch and it let one nice blue spark out of the plug but only once.it will only spark while turning over and then kill it with the red switch.is it possible I have had a pinched wire inside that switch the whole time? Thanks

Quick Reply: 2003 Polaris sportsman 500 ho