Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

2005 Polaris Sportsman 800

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Polaris Sportsman 800

Hi, Thanks for reading my post.
I recently purchased a 2005 Pol Sportsman 800 Twin EFI.
At the sellers house it started and ran well. When I got home it started and backed off the trailer. I put it in the shed for a couple of weeks before I could get back to it. Now it is completely dead. The battery is fully charged but when I turn the key nothing at all lights up. I replaced the key switch. There is power in the cables behind the switch and if I jump out 3 & 4 the dash lights up. Jumping out I think 3 and 6 turns the starter motor. The circuit breaker looks brand new and has voltage either side. Could it be bad luck that this ECM I hear of has decided to expire just after I got it home?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Jon

Old 11-16-2014, 01:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Common problem area we had was in the fuse block wiring that can pull out because of vibration causing intermittent contact or the left control switch wiring or connectors.Plus the pins/wiring in the speedo harness itself can be the problem.The fuse block can be lifted up to check wiring. Push in and wiggle around on the control switch connectors and see if the pod lights up. These contacts can get dirty plus the on/off switch contacts can corrode.I'd try some electrical cleaner on the switches and connectors also. The ecu has been updated,but hopefully not the problem.Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 11-16-2014, 03:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your reply OPT.
I pulled out all the connections I could find and cleaned them all. I pulled out the 2 ECU relays and cleaned and tested them. I removed and cleaned the fuse block. Interestingly there are no wires coming out of the 15 and 5amp fuses. I looked around and couldn't see any strays lost in there. There is power supplied to and from the fuses but no outgoing wires. Is that odd?? There is power to one of the 20 amp fuses, (innermost one) and power out. There is no power going into the outermost (Left side) 20 amp fuse with the red/white wires.
I have power into and out of the ignition switch and when I turn the key I get power down the double red/black wires. Where would they end up??
Sorry for the barrage but there are not many good Polaris techs near where I live.
Cheers Jon.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

6 amp fuse goes to the speedo,15 amp for efi power,20 amp for chassis power,plus the other 20 amp is for accessory power. Since this machine is new to you,the previous owner may or may not have tampered with the wiring,but still best to have the wiring schematic along with the helpful trouble shooting tests the manual has.Better than tacking something blind.No free pdf manuals that I can find anymore,but this is a good one for 5 bucks.2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI Service Manual PDF Download

Old 11-16-2014, 04:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks heaps. So I assume those fuses really should have wires to them?

Old 11-16-2014, 04:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

See if this helps on the fuse block. From the manual.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Polaris Sportsman 800-2011-12-19_155331_sportsman_fuse.jpg  
Old 11-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Awesome thanks. Will look at that tonight when it gets cooler.
Cheers

Old 11-18-2014, 05:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey OPT.
I finally found the problem.
While chasing power from the keyswitch I followed the red/black wires to the Mode controller plug. While I was fumbling with that I had the ignition on and I inadvertently touched the red engine stop switch. It sparked to life momentarily. It wont connect when in the proper position but when moved slightly left or right it will contact.
New switch ordered.
Thanks for your help.
Jon

Old 11-18-2014, 05:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Glad you found the problem. Sometimes on wiring problems you get lucky and stumble upon the problem.That's what happened to me a lot..

Old 11-19-2014, 04:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Indeed it was a lucky stumble.
Thanks again
If you're ever in town...................................
Jon.

Quick Reply: 2005 Polaris Sportsman 800