Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

700 prairie help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 prairie help

Tried starting while hooked to battery charger, heard a snap/pop near ignition switch, now nothing, no instruments,no winch,no lights,nothing. Bought new ignition switch didn't help. any ideas greatly appreciated, thanks Checked the 4 fuses I could find under seat all were good.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

One of the problems with these electronic controlled machines that we now have is...the electrical controls work great when they work but when they don't..it can be a real pain to trace them down. An electrical short, water intrusion, or even a momentary connection to reverse polarity can fry the electrical components and don't always blow a fuse. Your going to have to start with an electrical tester and start chasing the circuit to find where you have lost power. It is not much fun but your only choice as the problem could be anywhere in the system and even in more than one place. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2016, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your quick response! Will have to get tracking, don't know if I really know how, or where to start

Old 11-21-2016, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You will probably get more accurate help in the Kawasaki area with your posting. Or you might try going to "Nyrocks atv website" that site helped me with great details years back when I owned a Kawasaki machine. You will need a decent quality electrical tester (volt/ohm meter) and starting with the battery cables start checking for voltage from the battery to the switch and from the switch to all electrical connections. You might need to download and electrical diagram of your machine to trace along all the wiring routes.
As I stated it is not a fun or easy job to do but don't know what else to tell you to do. Somewhere in line your loosing your power but where??

Old 11-23-2016, 05:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a friend with an older Honda Fourtrax not be able to start his a couple years ago. It needed a new ignition coil. Here's one for your Prairie https://www.amazon.com/Ignition-Coil...+ignition+coil. Its a pretty cheap part. The old Honda had no electronic display of any kind so no way to tell if having a bad igntion coil would cause the display to not function but its a good bet that if the coil has never been replaced, your Prairie probably needs one anyway. This is the same brand that the Honda used and it worked perfectly on that quad.