Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Sizzling battery

Old 12-24-2016, 10:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sizzling battery

I hooked up my maintenence free battery to a 1.5 amp charger and there is a quiet sizzling noise coming from the battery when you listen really close. Does anyone know what this could be? Merry Christmas .

Old 12-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's a maintenance free battery this may be normal or you may have a couple dry cells if it's an older battery.Really best to load test the battery to see what condition it's in.Even a new one out of the box can be bad.I had stacks of them at work. Some people would even pull the sealed cell strip off and add distilled water to cells,but usually only a temporary improvement if any. Also when you get the machine running check charging at the battery. Should be between 14-14.5 volts. If lower or higher voltage is shown,usually a regulator problem causing this. Plus for general charging,keeping the battery charged, a floating maintainer is better than using a standard battery charger.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If it's a maintenance free battery this may be normal or you may have a couple dry cells if it's an older battery.Really best to load test the battery to see what condition it's in.Even a new one out of the box can be bad.I had stacks of them at work. Some people would even pull the sealed cell strip off and add distilled water to cells,but usually only a temporary improvement if any. Also when you get the machine running check charging at the battery. Should be between 14-14.5 volts. If lower or higher voltage is shown,usually a regulator problem causing this. Plus for general charging,keeping the battery charged, a floating maintainer is better than using a standard battery charger.
inhave it on a trickle charger

Old 12-24-2016, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

I think what OPT is saying, the voltage regulator of your bike could be the problem. If it's overcharging, the battery will have a short life.

Search this Thread