Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Nebie needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nebie needs Help

Nice post ... i was thinking the same.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2004, 12:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?
Default Nebie needs Help

Black and Red, that was a very good post. You spent alot of time on those facts. There is a few things that help, though. I don't fill my water tank till I get to where I'm going. I know where I go, and know there is water. I get my fuel at the last closest gas station, also a huge weight savings.

I don't want to cause aproblem but show ways for a guy to get a camper. I know about pulling aload. I drive a low-boy truck up and down the free-way 6 days a week. I will have 145,000 lbs behind me at any given time. I know you have to be carefull at all times. If someone has smarts a Tundra could get the job done.

Old 06-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Default Nebie needs Help

I was taking the rather conservative approach to things. I do know people who run dry for the weight savings as they don't have big block gas or diesel motors. Some people may not be able to do that. Other people I know pull their trailer wet for the added stability. Less likelyhood of wind deciding your path.

--

Slightly OT from this but I got a question. Not sure if you are familiar with Cali. laws or not. But I see you pull 145K+. Now the weight chart I found for CA lists no weights higher than 80,000 total. Is there something special for the Low Boy guys? Also says that axle weights are limited to 10,000lbs. I would assume a lot of the commercial laws are the same from state to state.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 06-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Nebie needs Help

Hey thanks for the ideas but I considered this as well. I think I may have found another solution I went to the RV dealer yesterday and looked at a 21" Weekend Warrior called a super lite. Weighs in at 3450 dry and the GVWR is 7650 which is alot closer loaded to where I want to be. I just didn't like a few things one being they have moilded holes in the chassis to lighten it up and of course they state there is no weakening of the frame by doing this and then the cost is about 20K out the door loaded, I was hoping to spend roughly half of that on a used trailer. Do any of you know if these are ok structually ok in the long run?

On a side note when leaving there last night they had a jeep cherokee loaded up with a 23' super lite which weighs in dry at 4125 lbs and he said they have no trouble pulling it, which I question.
Any imput to this idea is welcomed.

Thanks Again

Old 06-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?
Default Nebie needs Help

My WW is a 23' model. The frame is the same way. It is stamp out not cut. There is flaring around the holes and that basically reinforces the holes. The weekend warriors seemed to be the best of the light models. There was cheaper but they seemed cheaper quality.

I don't know California law. I just stay in Washington. The law here is 105,500. The exception to that is if it is a non-divisible load. If a load can not be reduced in less then 8 hours and still move itself it is non-divisible. I haul construction equipment that is small enough they don't make us take it apart. Just by a $14 overweight permit.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:11 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Default Nebie needs Help

Thanks. I kinda figured it was something like that. I don't know how much the big earth movers weigh, but it's gotta be moved somehow.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote