Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Need advice on Toy Hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004 | 12:37 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Need advice on Toy Hauler?

Hi! I'm about to purchase a 37CK Dune Chaser, 2005, fifth wheel toy hauler. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] My questions pertain to what size fifth wheel trailer you think we could haul safely, with a 2004 2500 Dodge Ram 4WD with a heavy duty tow group, 6 speed transmission, and cummins turbo diesel, short bed, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is our first trailer, and we want to go great right out of the gate.

Thanks again.
Charlie

Old 07-26-2004 | 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

With that truck, you should be able to haul anything you can afford. The only upgrade I can think of to your tow rig would be dual rear wheels for better stability, you've got plenty of power and shouldn't have a problem. My dad tows a 32 ft 5th wheel trailer that weighs 12K lbs with the same engine and transmission, no worries.

Old 07-26-2004 | 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

Ubetrun is right. Get the biggest thing you can afford, and make sure it will haul all of your toys with extra room to spare. Your truck will pull it.

Old 07-26-2004 | 02:49 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Ok...a few things. Are you in CA? If so, do you have a Class A license (non-commercial is fine)?

I can about tell you, you will probably be overweight with that trailer. Wow, that sucker is fricken HEAVY. Don't even do it. You need a Class 4 or 5 truck. You're talking mini-Freightliner, Ford F-450 (or bigger) Chevy 4500 series (or bigger). Dodge doesn't even make anything big enough. I don't care what that motor can pull up a hill, it's nice, but Dodge is gonna throw you out on the street if you break the truck pulling that load.

Your max towing capacity is 12,900 lbs. The pin weight alone is 800lbs higher than your payload, which means any weight in addition, like people, would put you higher and higher over weight.

Look for something MUCH smaller.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-26-2004 | 03:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hate to say it but BlackandRedWarrior is correct... 99% of "normal" pickups are not ment to pull that trailer loaded. GVRW is 17,000 lbs The max tow I can find for your pickup from Dodge is 8,000#'s.........The 1 ton dually is rated at 11,500#'s

Old 07-26-2004 | 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

I've seen Dodge diesels pulling car haulers with 6 cars, that's a heck of a lot more weight than 12,500. My Dad is retired and checked into using his truck for occasional car hauler duty, the only problem he found was front brake wear is greatly accelerated when towing more than 15,000 lbs. Dodge diesels can tow darn near anything you can hitch to them, I wouldn't hesitate to get the biggest toy hauler you can afford. There are some dedicated Cummins diesel sites, talk to the guys that use those trucks to make a living and ask them if they think you'll be overloaded.

Old 07-26-2004 | 11:54 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Just because it can pull it, doesn't mean it can do it safely. Can it stop it? NOT according to Dodge. CA also says no, it can't. You can not exceed your GAWR, GVWR or GCWR. And that would. Also, in CA the tow vehicle MUST be able to stop both the vehicle AND the trailer in the event of brake failure on the trailer.

If your state is silent on the issue, do whatever. Is it safe? Hell no. And if you come to CA, guess what, you're screwed. And if you get in an accident, you are doubly screwed.

Old 07-27-2004 | 03:06 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Just because it can pull it, doesn't mean it can do it safely. Can it stop it? NOT according to Dodge. CA also says no, it can't. You can not exceed your GAWR, GVWR or GCWR. And that would. Also, in CA the tow vehicle MUST be able to stop both the vehicle AND the trailer in the event of brake failure on the trailer.

If your state is silent on the issue, do whatever. Is it safe? Hell no. And if you come to CA, guess what, you're screwed. And if you get in an accident, you are doubly screwed.

Nothing like watching CHP pulling out a scale to weigh your truck and trailer. As we start pushing the weight limits we pull with our trucks, CHP will be watching. If you are over-loaded, the fines can be in the thousands. The diesels will tow anything you throw at them. But, why do you think they make different size trucks? ie. 3/4 ton, 1 ton, etc. They increase the hauling weight by making the axle, brakes etc. bigger and better. The motor is for the most part the same. It's the other drive train components you need to worry about. Saferty should be part of the decision making. For your safety and the safety of other travelers.

Old 07-27-2004 | 03:17 AM
Air Cooled Rider

Rescue: I wonder how much money CHP would make for the state if they set up a mobile weigh station at say 41 and 5 in Kettleman. Put all the trucks (at least anything that looked overloaded) going over 41 from the Valley through it. Probably a LOT more than it would cost to run. It would **** people off, but it would sure as heck wake 'em up.

Old 07-27-2004 | 03:39 AM
Quad Patrol

BlackandRed, As I was replying to this. I was thinking, how many times do we see these questions? I was thinking the same thing, also, about a weigh station.. But, I would think everyone pulling a trailer with toys would take the back roads. So, Hwy 41 and 33 would be a heck of a surpise for anyone headed towards Pismo on a major weekend. They would need to set up a campground along the highway to accomodate the over weight trailers. When it happens, we can only blame ourselves. But, then again, we in Ca. have stricter laws then some other states. But, you know what. As long as my family gets from point A to point B safely. I don't care. Sometimes big brother needs to protect us from ourselves.

Quick Reply: Need advice on Toy Hauler?