Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

2005 diesel Super Duty: Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 08:57 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 diesel Super Duty: Wow!

Actually the Ford's actually pulling capacities were really low. Their GCWR for both the 250 and 250 F-Series SD trucks was 20,000lbs. The 350 SRW has a higher payload than the 250, and the 350 SRW has more payload than the 350 SRW.

To tow more than 12,000 in reality you needed a F-450 or F-550. The difference there are much along the lines of the 250/350SRW differences. They both have the same towing (+/- 17,000 @ like 26,000 GCWR), but the 550 has more payload capacity. Many people WAY overload their 250 and 350s. Especially if you are pulling a monster 5th wheel. That was the reason they bumped the new SDs way up from what they were. Big 5th wheels are starting to be really popular. And the "light" Super Duties (and even the other light duty trucks from the other members of the Big Three really aren't mean to do that.

Most people just don't look for anything bigger than a 350/3500 truck. I think because they don't know they exist. Before the latest Super Duties came out, Ford only offered an F-450 (we have a '94 460CID gas guzzler...4PMG at work) and the badging is only "SUPER DUTY" not F-450, but all the paperword from dealer service lists it as an F-450. Now you are starting to see the mini-Freightliners, Internationals, etc. being outfitted specifically for towing monster 5th wheels.

In a funny note, the V-10 gassers actually have a higher tow rating as the engine is quite a bit lighter than the PSD. But the PSD will outpull it seven ways to Sunday. That's just where you have to look at ALL of you weight ratings. With a 5th wheel 100% of the pin weight is on the rear axle (actually mounted directly over it). There's no WD going on. And 5th can put up to 30% of their weight on the pin.

In my oh so humble personal opinion, tow ratings from manufacturers is a bunch of bullsh*t! If you took a trailer up to the max towing, most likely you'd push over some other weight first. The half tons will blow over their GVWR at their limits (I'm talking a 70lb driver for a Nissan Titan is all you get! I call BS!). If you are even close you really need to look at all of the weights.

What are the GCWR for the GM and Dodge trucks anyone know? How about Curb Weights? I'm too lazy to go look.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 09-06-2004, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GuitarPicker
When I bought my 2001 crew cab long bed diesel 4WD, I thought that it would be the last truck I would ever buy, especially after chipping it and adding 4" stainless steel exhaust. I had heard less than complimentary stories about the 6.0 diesel, which was reinforced by a test drive of an '04.

This week I test drove an '05 and WOW, unbelievable out of the box performance. It is 325 hp with (I think) a five speed automatic and really lays you back in the seat.

Ford also changed the front end from leaf to coil springs, resulting in a noticably tighter turning radius. The salesman also said a new option was an integrated electric brake controller (the first from a manufacturer) which is tied into the main computer to better stop the truck and trailer together.

If you're halfway thinking about a new truck, don't buy an '04 before you look at the '05's.

Seems kind of odd. Why would an 05 give you the feeling of putting you back in the seat when they haven't changed anything on the engine? It's the same one that the 04 has. The front end styling and front suspension are the main changes. Why would those changes make a truck feel faster?

Buck

Old 09-08-2004, 10:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

We have an 05 6.0 superduty(4 door) shortbox.....and dad was going to the field, with a pallet of beans in the back(probably sitting about 1/3 of weight on tailgate), well he went up a steep hill on the highway and the pallet slipped out(bedliner was slick, I suppose), once the weight got over the tailgate, it broke a cable(when I say broke, it didn't break it, it pulled the cable out of the end clamp thing) and the other side stayed in tact, well the pretty much made a pretzel out of our tailgate. He was pretty pissed that day, so he went into town to see what a new one would cost.....$900!!!!! He got a new one anyways, well, his bad luck, he just bent that one too. Man he is having bad luck.....the ramps fell down off his truck(didn't use the cables to hold the ramps up like I told him to) and the sportsman 700 fell on the tailgate, putting a small bow in it. We still have this tailgate. No one can seem to find us a used tailgate(that is in good condition too). But anyways, other than that.....I love the 6.0's they have tons of power, they are quiet, less emissions, and I think they get just as good of fuel milage....and if they don't, get a supertuner, and set it to better fuel milage.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:25 AM
Quad Patrol

Bradracer, I'd say he was probably pi$$ed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]I know I would of been, but, sounds like it could of been avoided with a little patience. But, heck, I'm short on that myself too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Glad no one got hurt, either time. I think those cables are only designed to hold like 250-300lbs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]Next time, make sure he does use those cables. I made the same mistake myself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]and told myself, never again.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:27 AM
Quad Patrol

And after seeing the prices you posted for the tailgate[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]I'm going to start locking mine on a regular bases. Hate to have it stolen[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]Chevy tailgates around here at one time, was a hot item to steal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I looked at the 05s today and think I will wait till the 2006s come out. Major body change coming is what I understand[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Why dont they just release toby Kieths Yellow ford with chrome mirrors. thats a nice body style [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
Why dont they just release toby Kieths Yellow ford with chrome mirrors. thats a nice body style [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Now your talking[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]But, that was a prototype truck that is probably a tuna can by now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2004, 12:48 AM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

well no its in tobys garage but yeah it was a prototype. looked pretty slick i hate all this roundy crap. Thats why i like extended hood petes and stuff with sharp lines. cars dont have lines anymore its riduclous.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:10 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

The Yellow F-350 from that video of his was the "Tonka" show truck from a few years back. Pretty cool lookin.

On the tailgates...that's one of the reason why Ford started putting locks on them for the '97 F-150 model year. Then people (mainly fleet and construction people) complained about them...for some reason I think they weren't smart enough to leave them unlocked.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quick Reply: 2005 diesel Super Duty: Wow!