ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/trailers-toy-haulers-motorhomes/)
-   -   Thumbs down on Chevy (https://atvconnection.com/forums/trailers-toy-haulers-motorhomes/190590-thumbs-down-chevy.html)

sicarius11 03-22-2005 11:19 PM

Thumbs down on Chevy

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I still believe in old fashioned loyalty. Any thoughts?

yellowrider250ex 03-22-2005 11:54 PM

Thumbs down on Chevy

my dad has an 2002 2500HD duramax 4x4 with a hypertech and man does it have the power its crankin 410hp and has had no problems it has 65,000 miles on it. Its only been in the shop for burned out running light.

VeryPicky 03-23-2005 09:39 AM

Thumbs down on Chevy

I have the 02' 2500H.D with the duramax and allison also. Good motor, good tranny, nice ride as far as trucks go. Their are issues with the steering boxes, steering shafts, injectors. GM has TSB bulletins out on all three. I'm not sure if any of these issues have been resolved on the 05 models or not. The shocks are junk off the showroom floor and the tie rods arn't much bigger than the one's on your atv's. In other words, the suspension is anything but heavy duty. I threw the stock shocks in the trash can and replaced them with Bilsteins. Rode like a different truck after that. GM did step up to the plate and extended the warranty on the injectors to 7 yrs. or 200,000 miles. The polished aluminum wheels leave a lot to be desired also. The finish on mine started to pit & peel within the first year. Gm replaced them with re-furbished ones. They are now in the same sad shape as the originals. On the upside, Gm has fixed or replaced everything that I've asked them too under warranty without giveing me any grief. (third steering box, pittman arm, idler arm, intermediate steering shaft. ) The true test will be after the warranty runs out and you have a problem with something that they know "you shouldn't be haveing problems with". Would I buy another one?? Hmmm! Probably!

scottd 03-29-2005 05:01 PM

Thumbs down on Chevy

2004 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax. Absolutely no regrets here. It's hot an Edge module and will pull any hill at 95 with a trailer behind. The thing cranks! No warranty issues at this point. Fit and finish is very good. Would I buy another? In a heart beat. I am not a Ford fan, after some bad experiences. Dodge is OK, but to me not in the same league as GM. Just my .02 worth.

Teebone56 03-29-2005 09:54 PM

Thumbs down on Chevy

2004 silverado Z71 one of my favorite Chevy's

SPD522 03-29-2005 11:08 PM

Thumbs down on Chevy

I had a 2000 Z71 that had problems from the 2nd day I owned it. Bought it new and it was never abused. Steering shaft out 2x, power window switch out, CD player skipped, engine knocked continously, cooling fan in dash squealed, rear springs crooked, seat belt retractors don't work, driver seat break down, fuel injectors going out, wind noise, dash cracking, instrument warning lights quit, door panels falling off, lousy fuel economy and marginal power. After 60,000 miles I had enough.

Many of the problems were directly attributed to the use of inferior parts. Flimsy materials and plastics were obvious by the rate things were breaking and falling off. Trading for a new Chevy would still be a truck with the same low quality parts.

So I tried Ford. 1st ever Ford truck for me. Everything was great until the 4R100 tranny puked at 28,000. Warranty replaced it and so far it's held up. At 45K I had to replace a broken brake caliper on my dime. 48K on it now. Do I trust the Ford? Way more than the Chevy but not up to the level of the Toyota trucks I have owned.

When Toyota makes a HD Diesel that can tow my 5th wheel, I will be back in a Toyota. Nothing else compares to the quality.

BareTread 03-30-2005 01:07 AM

Thumbs down on Chevy

[i]When Toyota makes a HD Diesel that can tow my 5th wheel, I will be back in a Toyota. Nothing else compares to the quality.
you hit the nail on the head with that one man. toyota by far has the best quailty built truck out there right now and american vehicles suck... plain and simple. my dad has a tundra and it is 1000 times better than the dodge ram he owned. power, accelaration, ride quailty....all better than the ram. doesnt have as much space in the back though.

UGLY88 03-30-2005 10:20 AM

Thumbs down on Chevy

I will agree with the Toyota comment. I had a 88 Landcruiser and it was a great truck. I just could not afford to maintain it or fix rarely when I had to. When I can afford one that will be the next fullsize for me. I have nothing bad to say about my 98 GMC though.

OhioScrambler 04-05-2005 08:48 AM

Thumbs down on Chevy

I am going to have to say I have had no problems with my 2001 1500HD. The TSB bulletin is news to me,but I will check it out. Thanks for all the info and the somewhat sarcastic comments.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I have had them all and I agree they all have problems,but right now I am going to stick with my GMC.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

oneshot7525 04-09-2005 10:41 PM

Thumbs down on Chevy

Originally posted by: crazypainter
I'm sure this will agitate some people but I need to vent. I have an 03 silverado 2500hd Extended cab short box 4x4 automatic. This truck has the worst reliability of any truck I've owned! I bought it new, oil is changed every 3000mi. tires rotated every 6000. At 30000had the tranny flushed. maintenence isn't a problem. I'll tell what is- At 10000miles the front end went out, the whole front differencial locked up, shortly after it went in for the air bags cause the light came on in the dash, some module had to be replaced, next the steering shaft had to be replaced followed by the power sterring pump and then back for air bags again.Next the serpentine belt started squealing, bolts were missing from the transmission mounts causing clunking, Power steering doesn't want to turn on cold mornings now. Tranny very slow to go in the cold wont go into OD but its not exactly in 3rd either kind of like the torque converter isn't locking up. Sometimes when I come to a stop and go to take off it acts like its in neutral I let off thre gas and then it goes. This truck is a LEMON, anybody else had this many problems with theirs? And I'm 46 not some kid that hot rods it.
Must have been made on a Monday